Engine into '51 Commander questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine into '51 Commander questions

I bought somebody else's abandoned project '51 Commander that was half disassembled with the engine already removed. I'm going to try to start lowering the 232 engine back in later today or tomorrow. I have a bunch of questions about this.

Which are the two best bolts to tie the hoisting chain too?

Does the battery ground to the block? And to which bolt?

How does the block ground to the rest of the Studebaker?

Does the hose to Climatizer go to the upper or lower outlet on the water pump?

Thanks!

There will probably be more questions as this project rolls on....
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Which are the two best bolts to tie the hoisting chain too?
    Depends on the setup you have. If you have a manifold plate, a cradle (with chains) or just a long chain... If just a chain, the widest spread, using 3/8" fasteners, doesn't matter.

Does the battery ground to the block? And to which bolt?
    Yes. Whichever one you think is the cleanest looking (motor mount, waterpump manifold, exhaust manifold, etc.). Be sure to remove any paint under the wire connection.

How does the block ground to the rest of the Studebaker?
    Stude used several small grounds. Mostly at the motormounts. Go from an engine fastener to a frame fastener. Not a huge deal.

Does the hose to Climatizer go to the upper or lower outlet on the water pump?
    Can't help on this one.

Mike

Comment

Climatizer: Hope this helps.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1675320

Comment

If you're going for originality the battery grounds to the block, if you want good starting with the 6 volt at all times, ground it at one of the starter mounting bolts.
        Clean, no rust, grease, paint, etc.
        The flat woven ground strap from engine to frame will take care of grounding the rest of the car.
        It is a positive ground system if it hasn't been changed.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thanks so far! I got a manifold plate and the engine is sitting on its two mounts and the two transmission mounts.

On those automatic transmission mounts, do the studs take regular nuts or lock nuts? Do I torque them down or will that hurt the rubber? Thanks!
          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

Doug, pardon me if you've already heard this, but for the project you are undertaking...you need to buy three manuals. Shop, body, and chassis. They usually are available from some of our vendors. I have an original '51 Land Cruiser which from the back of the front seat forward is the same as your Commander. I have not had the engine out, and don't have the answers to your questions on the tip of my tongue.

Having the manuals would go a long way to helping you get the car back together. You'll probably still have questions, but the information in the manuals would be much more clear and quicker than waiting for an answer here. Also, more accurate. I have mistakenly given answers (I know...I know...hard to believe ) from either misunderstanding the questions, or passing on information given in error from others.

Some may think the manuals are "pricey"...but in time, you'll realize it is one of the best money you will spend when restoring and maintaining these cars.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hi Doug,

Here is a photo of my 51 Commander engine with everything exposed. I hope this helps.

Jim
              Attached Files
              \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
              Jim Mann
              Victoria, B.C.
              Canada

Comment

Thanks, so far!

I got the car put together this far:

And then some, since the brake lines came and I got the wheels back on since that video was shot.

The car will run from a jerry can, but not from the gas tank. My first three guesses are that I have gas in the tank but not enough, the strainer is plugged, or the gas line is leaking air with little rust holes.

After that's licked, I'm going to work on why the generator "don't gen no more". I'm going to start with cleaning up the brushes and commutator.
                Last edited by DougHolverson; 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Sounds nice -- Keep up the good work! We need more guys like this getting these Studes on the road so the public can see and enjoy them!
                  sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Regal Deluxe Trim
                  Automatic transmission
                  46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

It turns out that I have a rust hole in the gas line. I'm going to start bending a new one tomorrow.

I was going to start bending tonight, but I got sidetracked by the battery dying in Wee Beastie, my Ford chimera beater parts getter.... Grrr!

Comment

Working...
                    X