V8 Water Manifold Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: V8 Water Manifold Identification

I need some help understanding the differences between V8 water manifolds. I'm used to seeing the thermostat housing centered on 63/64 style water manifolds. However, I have one on a '63 engine where the thermostat housing is offset to the driver's side and there are drilled and tapped bosses on the passenger side. What is this one used for? What bolts to the extra bosses?

Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	water manifold 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1736331
    Click image for larger version

Name:	water manifold 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1736330
    Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona Hardtop
    1962 Champ Truck
    1957 Golden Hawk

Do we see chrome rocker covers in the photo? What is the serial number of the engine? Maybe you hit the lottery with a supercharged R2 manifold.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

What Jack said...

It looks like a '63-'64 Lark/Hawk style R2 engine. The water manifold is one if, if not THE hardest part to find if someone is trying to build a factory correct R2. As Jack mentioned, the chrome valve covers and viscous fan are other clues of either a real engine or a motor somebody transferred the parts to.

Yes, please post the engine number.
      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

You've done well on two counts if you habve both manifolds pictured!

The lower one with the offset is indeed for an R2 Lark or Hawk application and a real score.

The upper manifold is nothing to sneeze at, either. It is equipped with a heater hose outlet on the left (driver) side of the manifiold, just the ticket for a V8 car to which air conditioning will be added, or was at the factory.

Good score twice; both are somewhat rare and consequently desirable; especially the R2 unit. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The engine code is P103558 which I thought was a std 289V8. The block is full flow. My guess is that someone may have transferred some parts from another engine. It currently has a 2bbl intake and a road draft tube. It has the standard pass car 1557570 head castings. It also has a Delco distributor, not the Prestolite. How could I verify if this is an R2 water manifold for a Lark/Hawk? Does anyone have a photo of a real piece?
          Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
          1964 Daytona Hardtop
          1962 Champ Truck
          1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the input. I didn't realize the upper one was from an AC car.
            Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Daytona Hardtop
            1962 Champ Truck
            1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by t1003nl View Post
              How could I verify if this is an R2 water manifold for a Lark/Hawk? Does anyone have a photo of a real piece?
              No further verification needed, that is a Lark/Hawk R2 water manifold!
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by t1003nl View Post
                The engine code is P103558 which I thought was a std 289V8. The block is full flow. My guess is that someone may have transferred some parts from another engine. It currently has a 2bbl intake and a road draft tube. It has the standard pass car 1557570 head castings. It also has a Delco distributor, not the Prestolite. How could I verify if this is an R2 water manifold for a Lark/Hawk? Does anyone have a photo of a real piece?
                No need for a photo, Neil; it IS one!

But if it will make you feel better, take a picture of it and send it to me.

I'll turn around and repost it as an example of a "real" one, because that's what it is. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input and verification. I'd never seen one like this and I knew I'd get an answer if I posted it here! Stuff like this makes this hobby so fun. You never know when you'll stumble across something interesting.

Thanks again.
                  Neil

1964 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop
                  1962 Champ Truck
                  1957 Golden Hawk

Comment

Funny when that happens.....a rare part used on an ordinary engine just because the previous owner had it laying around and found it conveinient to use...One never knows!

Comment

Back in the 90's I bought a complete engine just for that water manifold! That was after 2 years or more of searching. Of course, the internet has made that alot better. Before Lionel closed up his shop I was tempted on buying an aluminum one from him. I dont know if John Erb has any from Lionels stock.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                      X