Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Harbit would LOVE this!

[Warning: Only modest Studebaker content.]

'Just got back from the 2007 Hendricks County [IN] Fair Tractor Pull. Now, everything I know about tractor pulling and the NTPA you could fit on one side of a 3X5 index card with room left over for The Gettysburg Address in 14-point type.

However, our famous icon Ted Harbit's father, Lloyd "Ted" Harbit, was a farmer by trade. Not a wealthy one, but he and his wife Thelma were able to provide for their family and raise a son (Ted) and daughter (Phyllis) successfully, with father instilling proper values as to things mechanical...i.e, Studebakers, the value and sturdiness of which he stressed to his son Ted.

Lloyd was also a devotee of South-Bend built Oliver tractors. He was finally able to purchase a brand-new one in 1950. Our hero, his son Ted, owns and maintains that very Oliver today, in running condition.

Olivers were kind of second-tier tractors as to marketing in the 1950s, playing second-fiddle to biggies such as International, corporate cousin Farmall, Case, and Allis-Chalmers, all of whom dominated that market in the early 1950s. (At the time, John Deere wasn't the big deal they are today.) But Lloyd had great faith in Olivers and would frequently challenge other farmers to various contests as to tractor proficiency, and he would usually win. [}][^] (Son Ted enjoys recalling his father's fondness for Olivers as well as Studebakers.[^])

Fast forward to this evening in 2007.

At the Hendricks County Fair, as elsewhere, John Deere is now the darling of tractor people. Not to take anything away from the company; they did an excellent job staying abreast of farming needs in the 1960s and 1970s when other farm equipment companies were stumbling, so they deserve the success they have properly acquired.

Accordingly, at the Tractor Pull, there were mostly John Deeres (pretty much in name and appearance only, I realize), with several tractors identified as International or Farmall, and an occasional Case and/or Allis-Chalmers.

In this one class, a National Points champion, I think they said, was present with his John Deere. BIG HOOPLA about his appearance; the announcer really worked the crowd before this guy's pull. A full pull they said was 300 feet, and no one had done that yet tonight. Yee-Haa.

Nor did this guy. He did very well, though, pulling a little over 295 feet for the high mark in the class...well, at least for the time being.

'Next to pull was the lone Oliver in the contest. The announcer was polite about it, but not as enthusiastic as if it had been a John Deere or an International. The announcer asked if there were any Oliver fans in the stands. I and maybe a dozen others (out of a crowd of perhaps 300-400) whooped and hollered, but that didn't make much of an impression because there were so few of us.

Then the Oliver backed up to the sled, hooked up, and dropped the hammer. With what seemed like little effort, he proceded to not only make a full pull of 300 feet, but didn't stop [u]until he got over 308 feet!</u>

The crowd went ape, not unlike what happens when we have a significant Studebaker victory at The Pure Stock Drags! [}][8D][}]

Nobody else even made a full pull in that class tonight, so the only Oliver won by a good margin.

Ted, your Dad is smiling this evening...and your Mom's getting a big hug! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

That's fantastic Bob, I love it! [^]If I had been there, you can bet I would be cheering for the oliver also, I love the cool looking '38-'39 Commander looking grilles, unlike any other tractor![^]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's fantastic Bob, I love it! [^]If I had been there, you can bet I would be cheering for the oliver also, I love the cool looking '38-'39 Commander looking grilles, unlike any other tractor![^]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Bob,

Many "antique" pulls require tractors to be 1954 or earlier or 1959 or earlier (as that is the last year for the John Deere 2 cylinder models). Olivers had been advertising smooth 6 cylinder power since the introduction of the 70 series in the mid 1930's (with some sporting 5 main bearings and split exhaust ). Through the latter stages of the '50's they had a virtual lock on the 6 cylinder market as far as tractors were concerned and were one of the early entrants in the diesel field. For that reason (and their relative light weight) Oliver 77's and 88's are coveted by pullers (especially with the lightweight steel rims). In pulling, the goal is to get the greatest HP with the least amount of weight.

Just to clarify, Oliver tractor production was centered in Charles City, Iowa (the original home of Hart-Parr which merged with Oliver in 1929) while plows were built in South Bend.

I suspect that I have owned approximately 35 Olivers in my lifetime (about equivalent to the number of Studebakers owned).

Gary (a reforming tractor addict)

Comment

Bob,

Many "antique" pulls require tractors to be 1954 or earlier or 1959 or earlier (as that is the last year for the John Deere 2 cylinder models). Olivers had been advertising smooth 6 cylinder power since the introduction of the 70 series in the mid 1930's (with some sporting 5 main bearings and split exhaust ). Through the latter stages of the '50's they had a virtual lock on the 6 cylinder market as far as tractors were concerned and were one of the early entrants in the diesel field. For that reason (and their relative light weight) Oliver 77's and 88's are coveted by pullers (especially with the lightweight steel rims). In pulling, the goal is to get the greatest HP with the least amount of weight.

Just to clarify, Oliver tractor production was centered in Charles City, Iowa (the original home of Hart-Parr which merged with Oliver in 1929) while plows were built in South Bend.

I suspect that I have owned approximately 35 Olivers in my lifetime (about equivalent to the number of Studebakers owned).

Gary (a reforming tractor addict)

Comment

Cool, Gary; thanks for the clarification. I figured you'd have something to add to this thread!
            'Wish I knew as much about tractors as you do, but that's a whole different field. (Maybe in my next lifetime!) BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Cool, Gary; thanks for the clarification. I figured you'd have something to add to this thread!
              'Wish I knew as much about tractors as you do, but that's a whole different field. (Maybe in my next lifetime!) BP

Comment

Wish I could have been there to see that Bob[] What a good story, once again an underdog make blows them all away.
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Wish I could have been there to see that Bob[] What a good story, once again an underdog make blows them all away.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

LOVE IT!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

LOVE IT!

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Easy, Frank: Your heart's in the right place, but it wasn't Ted's Oliver by any means! [:0]

(Gad, can you imagine what would happen if Ted Harbit got involved with Tractor Pulling!) &lt;GG&gt; BP

Comment

Easy, Frank: Your heart's in the right place, but it wasn't Ted's Oliver by any means! [:0]

(Gad, can you imagine what would happen if Ted Harbit got involved with Tractor Pulling!) &lt;GG&gt; BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Then the Oliver backed up to the sled, hooked up, and dropped the hammer. With what seemed like little effort, he proceded to not only make a full pull of 300 feet, but didn't stop [u]until he got over 308 feet!</u> The crowd went ape, not unlike what happens when we have a significant Studebaker victory at The Pure Stock Drags![}][8D][}]

Nobody else even made a full pull in that class tonight, so the only Oliver won by a good margin.
                            Jeeaaaaaaannn!!!! Jeeeeaaaaannnn!!!.....RUN if you will...to the TOP of the hill.........

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

Then the Oliver backed up to the sled, hooked up, and dropped the hammer. With what seemed like little effort, he proceded to not only make a full pull of 300 feet, but didn't stop [u]until he got over 308 feet!</u> The crowd went ape, not unlike what happens when we have a significant Studebaker victory at The Pure Stock Drags![}][8D][}]

Jeeaaaaaaannn!!!! Jeeeeaaaaannnn!!!.....RUN if you will...to the TOP of the hill.........

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X