Need ONE 53 Wheelcover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ONE 53 Wheelcover

My friend Jack Lentz lost one his wheelcovers off his 53 Lowey Type Coupe. It had the gold center and was an original. Does anyone out there have a broken up set from which they wish to sell ONE? Jim Glass 908 489 6943. Thanks.

Well, they go flying often and there were quite a few on eBay. I have about 11 left. You better search for more than one. Your friend's gonna need 'em. Check out Stude Int'l for repops, also.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

True 53 wheel covers are tough to find and relatively expensive when you find them. They have a raised "tri-star" in the center like this...

The more common later ones and the repops do not have the tri-star.

Which does your friend need?
      Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 08-26-2012, 09:57 AM.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a couple of tri star but they are "driver" condition and I took them off because they went flying.
        Last edited by 2moredoors; 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM.
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

On the old Studebaker Internet News Group the problem of 'flying wheel covers' came up and a couple of good solutions were suggested. One was to add 3 or 4 bumps with a welder along the edge of the wheels where the hubcap seats for the prongs to grab. A good idea if you plan to repaint your wheels in the near future. Come to think of it...I need to do that on mine.

Comment

Dick he has a really nice show car and in fact had the originals with the tri-star. He would really like to get the tri-star type if possible. I think at this point he would also settle for two reproduced types as you can only see one side at a time.

Warrlaw 1 do you have some for sale??

Comment

Commander55. If you weld on a wheel. Be sure to REMOVE the tire. Watch these videos.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              Last edited by split51; 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

A safe way is to spread an even layer of "GOOP" or silicone or something similar on the wheel where the cover grips.
                It stops the flying and the drift.
                A small dab inside the roll of the cover grips help.
                South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I have nice used tri-star covers

Comment

Right ! Welding on anything that is pressurized or in close proximity to anything flammable isn't a very smart move.
                    I remove the tires before I even paint a wheel.
                    Also...it isn't unusual for the farmers in this area to inflate a low tire on their pickup, trailer or farm implement with propane. Pretty DUMB!

Originally posted by split51 View Post
                    Commander55. If you weld on a wheel. Be sure to REMOVE the tire. Watch these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZ4s...FD57C1F231BEB8

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                      I have nice used tri-star covers
                      Shoot me a picture and a price.

donjudywilson22 at gmail dot com
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I remember a fellow club member saying (probably 15 years ago or better) that after they put radial tires on their Studebaker they had a problem with the wheel covers coming off - something about the wheel flexing more than with the old bias ply tires. Have also heard of people giving the grab tabs a little more height so they hold on tighter.

Comment

Tx Rebel Sent you private message with contact info. Thanks.

Comment

Jim. I've learned the hard way that the best examples seem to be the first to leave the rim. I have a stash of driver quality ones left. If all other sources abandon you, I'll donate one to keep the car on the road and properly dressed. Cheers.
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Found two original restored at this web site check this out: http://www.hubcaps.org/studebaker.html By the way thanks for the offers of help.
                              Last edited by jg61hawk; 08-27-2012, 08:12 AM. Reason: Say thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X