160 mph speedometer id help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 160 mph speedometer id help

Recently I have seen two different 160 MPH Studebaker speedometers. Version one has numerals that are all the same size. Version two has numerals that alternate larger and smaller. Both have the chrome rim just like the 120 MPH speedometer in my 60 Hawk.

Can someone clarify for me which versions went with what years/models, please?
    sigpic
    Bob Shaw
    Rush City, Minnesota
    1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
    "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Maybe one was an export kilometer one ??

Comment

I know the later Hawk 160 speedos had the red lens dot for high beams, unlike the earlier hawks. Don't know about larks & Avantis.

Comment

To: BShaw,-----I believe the 160 speedo with numerals that alternate in size would be factory correct for a '55 President Speedster only.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          To: BShaw,-----I believe the 160 speedo with numerals that alternate in size would be factory correct for a '55 President Speedster only.
          Thanks. I did find an interior pic of a Speedster and it had the alternating sized numerals as you say. I suppose the one with same-size numerals was probably 56 57 58 Golden Hawk? From what I have seen, GT Hawks had a different bezel and Lark speedo's were completely different.
          sigpic
          Bob Shaw
          Rush City, Minnesota
          1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
          "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Gee...thanks for reminding me of a painful memory, Bob. The goofball that got my GT Hawk wrecked it a day after he drove it from my yard.

I should have at least removed the 160 MPH speedo out of it! Somewhere, I still have the original 120.

I know...calling him a "goofball" is not right, but, that is a name we share. That was a deal between two goofballs.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

To: BShaw,-----You've got it! The 160 speedo that looks similar to the Speedster unit except all the numerals are the same size, would be the right one for a '56-'58 Golden Hawk and '58 Packard Hawk models.

Comment

Not to hi-jack this thread, but do the 160 and 120 speedos interchange? I have both and neither is reading correct in my '61 Hawk. The 120 is original but the trans is not, I need to change the gear in the trans.

Comment

To: jrlemke,-----Yes, they will interchange with no problem at all. (Still will have to find proper drive pinion at trans)

Comment

Working...
                  X