64 gt rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 64 gt rear

I got the 64's rear end where I could see it today. It has a tag on the bottom lt cover bolt but even after cleaning you can't read it. What was the stock gear ratio on the power shift auto? Also the lt side studs are marked R shouldn't they be L?
    Attached Files

3.31 would have been the standard ratio and 3.73 would be the optional ratio. Studs are supposed to be all right hand on 60's era Studebakers. Studebaker stopped using lh thread in the mid 50's sometimes.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Steve, I have a hub puller that you can borrow. It is made just for this type of brake drum & hub assembly. If you try to remove the drums from the hub, you may damage something whereas removing the drum & hub together will save you some headaches. I found this out the hard way!
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

So a dumb question to ask based on the rear end gear ratio. Would a 3.31 give better gas mileage or the 3.73, everything else equal. Driver, grade car etc. Just curious.

Mark

Comment

3.31 is better than the 3.73 for fuel economy at highway speed being that the engine turns fewer RPM's.
          sigpic
          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Would a 3.31 give better gas mileage or the 3.73, everything else equal.
            Need more information to answer this question.
            IF...this car was an around town car, no, the 3.73 would return better gas milage.
            IF...this car spent most of it's time over 55mph, then the 3.31 wold be better.
            IF...the freeway trips were short (maybe 20 miles or less), the 3.73 would still (most likely) win the milage contest.
            IF...the freeway trips were long and fast (over 70mph), the 3.31 would win out.

See how this is going...?

Mike

Comment

To swvalcon,----That rear end just might be a 3.54 (Nice!) Pull the cover and check the ring gear markings for sure.

Comment

Working...
              X