Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: I'm on a mission to verify my P.H. unobtainium

Hi All,

So today I drove down to Olympia to meet with a fellow whose father-in-law had given some Studebaker parts years ago. Apparently many years ago the father-in-law had been a S-P dealer.

The gentleman had stashed the parts in the attic of his garage and had left them there for years. Not long ago, another P.H. owner, this fellow's life-long friend, was talking to him about his P.H. and the fellow mentioned that he had some old Stude body parts and wanted to know if the P.H. owner was interested in buying them. One thing led to another and the P.H. owner managed to verify that they were actual NOS parts still in the original wrapping. The P.H. owner didn't want the parts but he knew that I'm in the middle of my build and that I'm always looking; so he contacted me. He told me that the parts were numbers:

303041 Supposed to be the left front fender for a 55 - 64 K body
    310406P and 310407P Supposed to be left and right rear fenders for 55 - 64 K-bodies
    1320574 and 1320575 Supposed to be left and right doors for a K body

We came to an agreement on price and we met halfway between my place and his in Olympia today wherein he allowed me to be the first to cut open the boxes and wrapping on these parts to inspect them in person. I opened up the fender, one door and the same side rear fender and lined them up on the ground. They seemed to all align properly and from memory seemed to be right; so I paid him and hauled them back to Seattle.

I went to my friend's house where the body for my P.H. is stored while I've been restoring the engine, transmission, chassis and drivetrain and it turns out he's out of town for a few days (Dang, I should have called and checked on him before I picked up the parts.). So, now I'm unable to access my parts to do a side-by-side comparison to ensure I've got the right parts. As an alternative, I thought I'd come here and see if some of the more experienced brethren can look at some photos and tell me whether what I've got will work.

I have the '58 body manual that includes the doors and rear quarter panels but I don't have the chassis manual that lists the front fenders. Before I left this morning I noticed one discrepancy - the 58 body catalot shows the left and right rear quarter panels as part number 1326090 and 1326091 whereas what I picked up wat 310406P and 310407P.

My questions are:

1. Is that front fender number correct for a 58 K-Hawk?

2. Were those original 132 series numbers superceded by the 310 series or are the quarter panels so different they just aren't going to work?

I've taken pictures of the doors and the rear fenders as I'd finished unwrapping them and laid them out and I've posted those pictures here. For some reason, the last couple of pictures, which were of the left front fender, didn't take in the camera and I'm going to have to re-take them tomorrow but you can see the fender in the background in the last photo I've posted. I know I've got to make a sheetmetal modification to the bottom of that front fender to make it work - that's not the difficulty - I just want to be sure that I've got parts that are going to work for this '58 K-body.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. here are those photos:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Last edited by hausdok; 08-22-2012, 10:16 PM.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

The left front fender should be correct from 1953 to 1964 C/K Studebaker models. Quarter panels should also be correct according to the old thread.

Have a look at this old post http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...p?t-49412.html
    sigpic

Comment

Great,

Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I guess I should have done a search for those parts numbers first.
      Kenmore, Washington
      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
      '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

The front fenders will require some modification to fit your Packard Hawk. The lower front side under the headlight was spliced with a piece welded in to fit the nose section. It will have to be transfered from your old fenders. On the rear, the Packard Hawk fins were the only Hawk to have the fins welded and leaded in (front section only). Be sure your body man knows this.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks,

Yeah, I know about the tack welding and leading. When I took these fins off they were hiding some nasty rot. They're going to be going back on the same way.

Appreciate the input!
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

My thanks to fellow P.H. owner and Washington resident Craig Holt who steered me to his old friend Marc Baine of Centralia, WA to acquire these valuable parts. I know that I probably never would have been able to acquire them, and that they probably would have ended up on Craig's List, except for the fact that Craig had vouched for me.

I owe you one Craig. If I can ever do anything for you. Please give a holler.
            Kenmore, Washington
            hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
            '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
            '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
            '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Working...
            X