ATF Level Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: ATF Level Check

What's the correct method for checking the automatic trans fluid level in my '59 Lark VI 2-dr wagon? I've always checked other cars with the car on level ground, engine warm and idling, but this car has a short dipstick with access through the transmission tunnel. I can't find any mention of this in the owner's manual (or shop manual).

Thanks for your help!

It is done as you have on other cars with one exception, and that is the transmission selector has to be in the "drive" position. Make sure your emergency brake works well so the car won't roll. Hope this helps and welcome to the World of Studebaker and everything related. If you haven't already, you need to join the Studebaker Drivers Club.

Dan Miller
    Auburn, GA
    Last edited by ROADRACELARK; 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Even good parking brakes can leave me feeling insecure while drive is engaged. If you have access, nose up to an immoveable object: tree, post, wall. My '59 had a standard transmission. I didn't realize the Detroit Gear was installed that late.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        /Cut/My '59 had a standard transmission. I didn't realize the Detroit Gear was installed that late.
        It wasn't! The Borg Warner Flight-O-Matic was used from '56 to '66, and under-hood dipstick tubes did not begin until 1961.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X