This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-8 question?

What was the first year Studebaker put a V-8 in there cars, I found a 51/52 Starlite/bullet nose today and the guy said it had the origional V-8 in it.

Randy_G

This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

51 Commander

Comment

51 Commander

Comment

Also, a '52 wouldn't be a bullet nose.

Comment

Also, a '52 wouldn't be a bullet nose.

Comment

1951 was the first year for the V-8. The engine number, stamped on the passenger side of the block next to the distributor, will reveal if it is the correct engine for the year and the production order, available from the Studebaker National Museum, will reveal if it is the engine originally installed in that chassis.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            33 Rockne 10
            51 Commander Starlight
            53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

1951 was the first year for the V-8. The engine number, stamped on the passenger side of the block next to the distributor, will reveal if it is the correct engine for the year and the production order, available from the Studebaker National Museum, will reveal if it is the engine originally installed in that chassis.

Brad Johnson
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              33 Rockne 10
              51 Commander Starlight
              53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Was there a straight eight earlier on?
                Sure was, from 1927-1942. Standard on the Presidents and optional on the Commanders and Dictators. Great cars too.

Here's the front end of Dr. Cade's beautiful '31 President 80R Four Season Roadster. (With a straight 8 and OD trans, I might add)

Also, the Stude Indy cars of '31 or '32 (or both?) had straight 8's. With 4 single barrel carbs too. []
                Like this:

Comment

quote:Was there a straight eight earlier on?
                  Sure was, from 1927-1942. Standard on the Presidents and optional on the Commanders and Dictators. Great cars too.

Here's the front end of Dr. Cade's beautiful '31 President 80R Four Season Roadster. (With a straight 8 and OD trans, I might add)

Also, the Stude Indy cars of '31 or '32 (or both?) had straight 8's. With 4 single barrel carbs too. []
                  Like this:

Comment

That's 31, 32 and 33, Matt. They were President eights that underwent some additional engineering. Stan Smith can tell you stories about the trouble he went to to duplicate that engine for the original #37 he and his dad restored in 1980. It's now owned by Bob Valpey. Bob likes to drive it fast and rumor has it may have gotten scratched by rolling in excess of 90 degrees sometime in the recent past...rumor only, mind you. I know nothing.

Brad Johnson
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    33 Rockne 10
                    51 Commander Starlight
                    53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That's 31, 32 and 33, Matt. They were President eights that underwent some additional engineering. Stan Smith can tell you stories about the trouble he went to to duplicate that engine for the original #37 he and his dad restored in 1980. It's now owned by Bob Valpey. Bob likes to drive it fast and rumor has it may have gotten scratched by rolling in excess of 90 degrees sometime in the recent past...rumor only, mind you. I know nothing.

Brad Johnson
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      33 Rockne 10
                      51 Commander Starlight
                      53 Commander Starlight

Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I couldn't recall if they used them in '33 or not. They were rebodied at some point, was that for '33?
                        A scratch? Oh no... And to think I drove my '59 into the woods of South GA not long ago to get to our junk yard. Them pine trees can scratch the paint a bit too. [V] Not like the paint on my truck is really that great anyways.

Comment

I couldn't recall if they used them in '33 or not. They were rebodied at some point, was that for '33?
                          A scratch? Oh no... And to think I drove my '59 into the woods of South GA not long ago to get to our junk yard. Them pine trees can scratch the paint a bit too. [V] Not like the paint on my truck is really that great anyways.

Comment

I'm rough on my poor, old truck. The other day, the damned tractor didn't wanna run right so I pressed the Transtar into tow duty. Had to go between two low, scratchy trees[V]while towing that freebie '50 Champion around to the back. Pete didn't seem to notice he was pullin' thru soft, plowed dirt. Just put him in low and walked on around to the back with the Champ sedan following along behind.
                            When he gets a fresh coat of paint, I'll be a bit more careful - for awhile anyway.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm rough on my poor, old truck. The other day, the damned tractor didn't wanna run right so I pressed the Transtar into tow duty. Had to go between two low, scratchy trees[V]while towing that freebie '50 Champion around to the back. Pete didn't seem to notice he was pullin' thru soft, plowed dirt. Just put him in low and walked on around to the back with the Champ sedan following along behind.
                              When he gets a fresh coat of paint, I'll be a bit more careful - for awhile anyway.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X