Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarke-Gravely Corp./A Studebaker-Worthington Co. ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarke-Gravely Corp./A Studebaker-Worthington Co. ???

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

I worked at a Boy Scout camp in the early 1970's and we had a Gravely rider for cutting grass. Since I was already a Studebaker owner, I took immediate notice of the Studebaker name on the big sticker fore of the seat.

I sold this Cub Cadet 2072 hydrostatic mower last year. When it was purchased new in 1989 it cost $7600 on sale...

I still look occasionally for a Studebaker built Gravely tractor that I can display at shows.

Comment

Originally posted by 50starlite View Post
      I purchased my, model 810, ser. #327693, in Dec 1978 in South Bend and had it shipped to my resort on Bull Shoals Lake. It earned its keep at the resort for 21 years! When we sold the resort the tractor came with us and is now semi retired, only cutting grass and pulling a wagon. No more hauling gas, o.b. motors, gear, back and forth to the lake. This faithful servant is pretty much as it was when new. Same motor, starter, Trans. ,clutch, mower deck………
      Anyhow, was this still a Studebaker-Worthington Co. product in 1978? Everything I have indicates that it was. All my paperwork, books, inspection tag, letter heads, brochure, etc. say Clarke-Gravely Corp./A Studebaker-Worthington Co.
      I bought this tractor and a mower deck, new, from Chandler Sales and Service for $2195.00. This figures out at a cost of $2195 in 1978, and would cost (inflation) $7253.17 in 2010. Interesting.
      Dick
      I can't say for sure about '78, but I have a 1977 Gravely brochure which clearly states Division of Studebaker. My '72 430 says Division of Studebaker right on the control panel and the engine, an Onan, also says Division of Studebaker.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The school that I retired from had two Gravely lawn mowers. One day I entered the shop and painted the front of each with: STUDEBAKER! Couldn't get away with it, they all knew it was me.
        1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I worked for a reciprocating compressor outfit (Penn Pump, which became Cooper Penn-Jax, which became Cooper Energy services) for about a 15 year period starting in 1975. For a brief time period, "we" were owned by a subsidiary of Studebaker-Worthington...who also made compressors.

Well...people were already tired of my many Studebaker stories at the time, but when I heard this news...I put up a note on the company bulletin board congratulating everybody for working for STUDEBAKER!

The note didn't stay up long and I received a big ration of crap from everybody. It was a great time!!

D
          sigpicGood judgment is the result of experience; ...experience is the result of bad judgment.

Comment

I was at a tractor show several weeks ago and there was a fellow selling all sorts of literature for $3.00 a pop. He had a big book from Big 4, but there was not a mention of Studebaker so i passed on it.

Comment

You have a Studebaker-Worthington product.
              Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                I was at a tractor show several weeks ago and there was a fellow selling all sorts of literature for $3.00 a pop. He had a big book from Big 4, but there was not a mention of Studebaker so i passed on it.
                Ed Challinor, formerly of SASCO, was the only Automotive Division executive to have his job protected I believe and he became President of Big 4. This firm sold tire studs and, I assume, other products..
                Stu Chapman

Comment

In the library of my high school was a canister vacuum, kind of like a shop vacuum. I think it was a Clarke. A friend of mine noticed it had "Division of Studebaker" with the lettering on it like they used in 64. I wonder if they still have it, that was 25 years ago.

Comment

Stu,
                    You’re right, I researched this yesterday and found out that 1978 was the last year for the Studebaker-Worthington Co. connection.

Dick
                    Mountain Home, AR
                    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 50starlite View Post
                      Stu,
                      You’re right, I researched this yesterday and found out that 1978 was the last year for the Studebaker-Worthington Co. connection.
                      Dick your box is giving me a bad url and unable to open.
                      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Chandler Sales & Service where Dick bought his model #810 was and is still operating in South Bend. I used to travel by it frequently and I saw during the meet that they are still in business and there must be considerable competition.
                        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

On behalf of Gravely, Clarke & Onan The Studebaker Corporation had complimentary lighters made in 1963 with those names plus the red, white & blue S design on the front. I have all three in the original boxes still in mint order.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                          MELBOURNE.

Comment

Hey, Jim, we missed you at the Intl meet!

Comment

Should be a Studebaker product. I know the City of South Bend had some massive Onan generators that were just recently put out of service a couple of years ago. They were from the late '70 and both said "Division of Studebaker" on the ID plates.
                              Chandler sales and service is still in business.
                              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
                              X