Towing Capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Capacity

Hey guys, quick question: does anyone know what the towing capacity is for a '65 wagonaire with a 283? Thanks.

We would need to know the transmission and rear axle ratio, it would probably fall somewhere between 2000 to 4000lbs max.

Joe
    sigpic

1962 Daytona
    1964 Cruiser
    And a few others

Comment

Transmission: 2 speed power glide. Rear axle: no idea.

Comment

Equally important...braking capacity...cooling capacity.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Does the trailer have brakes? What sort of condition is the car (and frame) in? My concern with towing trailers (I have owned many ranging in size from 8' to a 28' dual tandem gooseneck) has always been stopping power versus pulling power. I can tolerate going a bit slower but not the inability to stop when needed.

Comment

You'll definitely need an auxiliary transmission cooler installed. Having a tranny burn up on the road while towing (or any time) is not fun. When I worked at an RV center years ago every now and then someone would pull in with a barely operating transmission from not adding a cooler.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Regarding trailer brakes. I have two trailers with brakes and several without. Trailer brakes are great and a good thing to have when they are working properly and the controller is adjusted for best performance. However, I have always had a kind of rule of thumb about towing. That is to only tow loads the vehicle is capable of as if the trailer did not have brakes. Trailer brakes are subject to failure, easy to neglect, and the same goes for the controllers used to connect them. If you always operate within the towing vehicle's capacity, you should be safe .

Of course...I have violated this rule a couple of times...but not often. Life's too short for the white knuckle stress.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

JT; if your '65 Stude. has a stock power train which it most likely does, the Transmission is a oil cooled H.D. Cast Iron Case Borg Warner 3 Speed Studebaker "Flight-O-Matic" which because it is a 3 Speed, is way more versatile than a Powerglide. It is capable of, and DID power 300 HP 327 cid Avanti II's and Airport Tugs!
                It does start in Second gear though, so you have to select "Low", shift to "D" and quickly return to "L" to hold second before shifting to "D" again for "top, direct" High Gear.

Until the advent of overzealous Lawyer Types Interfering, there were no "Towing Capacities" for Cars or light Trucks, so none were ever released.
                You pulled what you thought you could, and were passed on hills by faster vehicles, not like today when 400 plus HP Turbo Diesel pickups towing 35 Ft. Trailers pass you up on hills going 80 MPH!

As well as the condition of your car, the engine and Trans. type, the AXLE ratio is important when guessing towing capacity. The ratio Tag is found on the drivers side of the differential rear cover under a bolt, at about 7 or 8:00.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks guys for the quick responses. I thought it was a 3 speed Berg Warner but not realizing that it started in 2nd gear in drive only felt it pull through two gears. The wagon is bone stock and the frame is good shape. The trailer does have brakes. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

So is it a 3.31 Ratio rear axle? A 3.54 the next lower ratio available, would be good for serious Trailering.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just wondering if a 65 wagon could of had a 3:07 rear with a 283 ? I had a 65 Cruiser with a 3:07 and 283.
                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      So is it a 3.31 Ratio rear axle? A 3.54 the next lower ratio available, would be good for serious Trailering.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It is raining here. I won't be able to check it today.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                          Just wondering if a 65 wagon could of had a 3:07 rear with a 283 ? I had a 65 Cruiser with a 3:07 and 283.

They all could be ordered with any "reasonable" ratio, but a wagon is a heavier car that usually came standard with lower ratios.
                          Maybe in Kansas you could drive a Wagonaire with a 3.07 and a load, but in Oregon or Northern Calif. not so much!

Yes many 283 Sedans had 3.07, I have a '66 Cruiser with a 3.31 and most '65-'66's I have seen or owned had TT, Twin Traction axles as well.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-19-2012, 02:56 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had a 65 Wagonaire that had a 2" receiver on it, transmission cooler, 283 and factory disc brakes. I did not have the electric brake, but the car would really pull and stop most of the trailers that I pulled. Never did try my 28 foot travel trailer. One other thing to consider is the rear springs. HD would be best. I added overload springs (1500 lb.) to help.

Mark

Comment

I found that air shocks (factory option) were a good addition on the rear of my Wagonaire. You could adjust them as needed for towing or not.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X