avanti ll with stude engine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avanti ll with stude engine ?

was at a cruise last week and one of the guys there insisted that a handfull of the first off '65 avanti ll's were built with 289 stude engines. i have never heard of this in my 35 plus years of avanti addiction. i'm thinking stude gary could answer this one.
    gfperry

To: arkusvt,------As You would know after those 35 years, If You come across a '65 Avanti II, (or any other year Avanti II) with a Studebaker engine under the hood, that engine was put in after the car left
    the factory. PS......A Studebaker engine option would have been neat though!

Comment

I've never heard of Avanti II's of any vintage being factory equipped with Stude engines...actually I've never heard of any post-Studebaker Avanti having a Stude engine...lots of other retro-fitted engines...Cadillac, Mopar, Ford, big-block Chevy, LS-series Chevy, Buick V6...but never heard of one with a Stude engine.

It's well established that the first few prototype II's had small block Chevy engines...the first being a Corvette 327 from a wrecked car.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

It would make no sense to put in Stude engines, since the foundry had closed at the start of the '65 model year. They wouldn't have wanted to supply blocks for a third-party endeavor since they were keeping service stock for their dealer network, and knew that there would be no more new castings coming down the pike.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Maybe the gentleman was thinking Excalibur?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Leave the Studebaker engine in the Studebaker Avanti. To install one in a Avanti II is 'questionable'....on many levels!

Comment

Originally posted by arkusvt View Post
              was at a cruise last week and one of the guys there insisted that a handfull of the first off '65 avanti ll's were built with 289 stude engines. i have never heard of this in my 35 plus years of avanti addiction. i'm thinking stude gary could answer this one.
              You have been answered, but since you mention me, I will also chime in. All 1965 Avanti IIs were built with 327 cid Chevrolet V8s.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How many were built in 65? I was thinking only about 5...
                Neil Thornton

Comment

According to John Hull's book, there were 56 Avanti II's for 1965.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

thanks for all the answers ! i am now assured that the last 35 years of my addiction were not wasted.
                    gfperry

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Maybe the gentleman was thinking Excalibur?
                      Only the very first Excalibur, the prototype originally built for Studebaker, had a Studebaker engine. This wouldn't meet the "handfull" criterion either.
                      Last edited by studegary; 08-19-2012, 06:46 PM. Reason: missing ly
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

At the IM in Estes Park 1987 a fellow from Colorado had a Studebaker engine in an Avanti II

Denny L
                        Last edited by Green 53; 08-19-2012, 06:45 PM. Reason: Missed letter

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                          At the IM in Estes Park 1987 a fellow from Colorado had a Studebaker engine in an Avanti II

Denny L
                          I see that you added the other I before "someone" could comment on it <G>.
                          Wayne F. and I stayed up nearly all night (until five AM) at Estes Park straightening out the Avanti judging situation. I don't remember that car. It doesn't seem like only a quarter of a Century ago <G>.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Come to Colorado Springs next year Gary and we can stay up all nght again straightening out the Avanti judging. Just kidding as i do not think it is going to be a problem at all out there as both the SDC and AOAI organizations are in lock step on producing a great event. Just hope all come out to see what Colorado Springs is all about. I know I have been there several times and each time all I can think of is when will I be back.
                            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                            X