To early for a PSMCDR roll call????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To early for a PSMCDR roll call????

One month to go racing fans for the 2012 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race at Mid-Michigan Motorplex. Who's in??

We'll be there for the 11th year in a row! Can't wait to see and chat with all the SDC folks!!
    Frank Remlinger
    Detroit, Michigan
    SDC# A004602R

Steve Doerschlag is planning on coming with his 3-car trailer; the Wrapper will be one of the three Studebakers on it. We're hard at work getting ready. Looking forward to seeing all our friends there.

George

Originally posted by fastfritz View Post
    One month to go racing fans for the 2012 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race at Mid-Michigan Motorplex. Who's in??

We'll be there for the 11th year in a row! Can't wait to see and chat with all the SDC folks!!
    george krem

Comment

Ted Harbit and The Tomato will arrive on the trailer behind my Dakota Quad Cab...well, just The Tomato will be on the trailer. Ted rides in the cab. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

How funny you should ask.
        Earlier this year when I thought I might wanna make the trip,
        I noticed this 'minor' tiny little conflict~

Upper Mississippi Valley Zone
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        September 14 - 15, 2012, UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ZONE MEET in Rockford, IL.
        Hosts: Rock River Valley.
        HQ: Best Western - Clock Tower Resort, 7801 East State Street - (815) 398-6000
        Info: Jack Willis, email or phone (815) 389-2640.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The way things are now there's no way at all that I could make either of them.
        But what if I was closer, and I wanted to go to one of these events- what would I do?

I feel for the many many folks who are in these two Zones.

Shouldn't neighboring Zones (Directors and/or co-ordinators) talk to each so as to avoid conflicts like this? It's not like this is the first year some StudeGuys wanted to go to Mid-Michagan and beat up on some Detroit iron or anything...

StudeDave '57
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
          How funny you should ask.
          Earlier this year when I thought I might wanna make the trip,
          I noticed this 'minor' tiny little conflict~

Upper Mississippi Valley Zone
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          September 14 - 15, 2012, UPPER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY ZONE MEET in Rockford, IL.
          Hosts: Rock River Valley.
          HQ: Best Western - Clock Tower Resort, 7801 East State Street - (815) 398-6000
          Info: Jack Willis, email or phone (815) 389-2640.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The way things are now there's no way at all that I could make either of them.
          But what if I was closer, and I wanted to go to one of these events- what would I do?

I feel for the many many folks who are in these two Zones.

Shouldn't neighboring Zones (Directors and/or co-ordinators) talk to each so as to avoid conflicts like this? It's not like this is the first year some StudeGuys wanted to go to Mid-Michagan and beat up on some Detroit iron or anything...
          StudeDave '57
          'Not that much of a problem, Dave, if you are already coming this far. The two events are about 300 miles apart.

Suggestion would be to drive directly to The Pure Stock Drags and take in the day Friday, September 14th. Hundreds of practice runs, and you'll get to see many Studes 'whuppin' on Detroit iron. Things wind down and the gates close promptly at 5PM, so there's nothing doin' on the track after 5PM.

Leave the track at 5 PM and drive maybe halfway to Rockford and get a room for the night.

Get up early Saturday morning and fininsh the drive to Rockford to attend the Zone Meet Saturday, September 15th.

Then, you're already on your way back home when you leave the Zone Meet Sunday morning. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            'Not that much of a problem, Dave, if you are already coming this far. The two events are about 300 miles apart...
            I ran the numbers about six months ago, and am well aware how close the two events are. But having been to the PSMCDrags back in 2001, I know what I'd be missing by leaving Friday night. To me it'd be something like going to see a movie and walking out after the opening credits, only to walk into another that has already been running for 20 minutes.

My point is this- the PSMCD has become somewhat of an official 'unofficial' SDC event.
            If I was anywhere near there I'd NEVER plan a real SDC event for the same weekend.
            Unless it was a cruise to the PSMCD, of course.

StudeDave '57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I will be attending with my 1963 Avanti R2 This will be my 12 th year. I look forward to this event all year.

Comment

hi psmcdr fans and drivers looking for a set of 4:29 gears to put in my 63 avanti twain tracktion only, want the hole axsels drum to drum not worred if it,s flanged axsel or not ,sorry but 3;54 gears just don,t cut it for me , any where in nourth america is good for me, don,t mind the distance at the right price, like doing things last minute. thank you raymond wise thank you found what i was looking for on the teck side of this site rw
                Last edited by wise raymond; 08-19-2012, 07:08 AM.
                rawise

Comment

Originally posted by KOOL R2 View Post
                  I will be attending with my 1963 Avanti R2 This will be my 12 th year. I look forward to this event all year.
                  I'm with Peter; look forward to it every year and as Bob said we plan to be there.

Frank, the Tomato has been selected for the "Heavy Tech" this year. Any idea how many they plan to do or heard of who the others are?

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                    I'm with Peter; look forward to it every year and as Bob said we plan to be there.

Frank, the Tomato has been selected for the "Heavy Tech" this year. Any idea how many they plan to do or heard of who the others are?

Ted
                    How did you get selected for HEAVY TECH already?!?!? I thought this was only for the top % of vehicles after runs on Friday. I haven't heard anything else about it until NOW. I wonder who else is selected?? Glad I don't have to worry about the old Dodge getting the treatment!
                    Frank Remlinger
                    Detroit, Michigan
                    SDC# A004602R

Comment

How did you get selected for HEAVY TECH already?!?!? I thought this was only for the top % of vehicles after runs on Friday. I haven't heard anything else about it until NOW. I wonder who else is selected?? Glad I don't have to worry about the old Dodge getting the treatment!
                      I was surprised to get the letter that the Tomato was selected too, especially after being "certified" in 2004 and again in 2010. I first thought maybe they were picking the fastest car of each brand or make but then I remembered the Wrapper is quicker and faster than the Tomato. ??

I heard there was a rumor that we are running 18 pounds boost so that might be the reason. ?? Dan did tell me at Martin one of the things they were going to check is the boost. They are going to put a gauge on it that would hold the highest reading during a run so that might be it. Seven psi is a LONG way from 18.

I was afraid they were going to have me pull a head and if so, I was going to take it off at home so about half the work would be done as I doubt I could wait and pull it there, get it checked and back together in time to make any runs. At this age, I am a LOT slower getting these things done but Dan did tell me they would not do that but would pull a valve cover to check cam, whisler to check compression, etc.

Ted

Comment

It's on my calendar. Hoping to get there.
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

What Ted said, Frank. Some people get downright silly, claiming they "got" so many pounds of boost from a Paxton supercharger such as the ones used on Studebakers of the era. They are just wrong; the reality is that it is all but impossible to get more than about 8 pounds measured at the supercharger outlet, much less at the intake manifold after modest downstream pressure losses through the carburetor, attaching hoses, gaskets, and such.

Once you understand how those things work, with a set of drive element balls acting as a plantary gear set under extreme pressure, you realize you just can't make more boost by spinning it faster. That's because the drive balls start to slip sooner or later and no longer function as a planetary gear set like they are supposed to...and do under normal conditions.

Then the prevailing thought becomes, "Why not just squeeze the drive balls harder with the internal spring pack on the outside ball races, so they don't slip?" That's a dandy idea until you realize that is going to create an enormous amount of additional pressure, friction, and heat, and the unit will blow up in short order. Keep in mind: When the car's engine is closing in on 6,000 RPM, the supercharger impeller drive shaft and bearings are running about 40,000 RPM (yes, forty thousand).

They get hot enough as it is: Come by the pits right when a supercharged Studebaker returns from a hot pass and you cannot put your hand on the supercharger. During the shootouts, you'll often see us putting ice packs on top of the superchargers between runs to help cool them down.

Of course, "all the above" doesn't prevent braggadocious, attention-seeking "experts" (and we have a few, sorry to say) from swearing with great authority that they successfully defied established laws of physics and "got" umpteen pounds of boost. Groan.

Couple that with the mystery of what is really inside those orange globes on top of many Studebakers at the event and a few remaining naysayers who might privately still believe, "Studebakers just can't go that fast!", and you have the ingredients for all manner of nefarious rumors and stories...stories sometimes "alcohol-fueled," if you know what I mean! BP

Comment

Umpteen pounds of Boost? I can hardly get the Avanti pressure/vacuum gauge I installed to register boost at the manifold during the Osceola Drags during the International Meet rip roaring down the track at 5000rpm trying to catch the Tomato. I wonder how much boost that orange whirly thing actually puts out on my Hawk. The best that I have seen on my Avanti gauge,... it's maybe 1, 2 or 3 lbs at the end of the track when RPM's are peaking. I must be losing alot of pressure through worn throttle plates.

As for the role call: I have serious doubts of making the Pure Stocks this year due to new studies at University of Toronto. It was possible to slip away the last couple of years in classes that have 500+ students and get notes, but this year I am taking a teaching degree in much smaller specialized classes at a different University. Simply stated,... bummer!

I have to wish the "Studebaker Racing Team" bright shiny skies, Cool mornings, warm afternoons, a dry track and of course fast times.

Allen
                            1964 GT Hawk
                            PSMCDR 2014
                            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                            PSMCDR 2013
                            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post

As for the role call: I have serious doubts of making the Pure Stocks this year due to new studies at University of Toronto. It was possible to slip away the last couple of years in classes that have 500+ students and get notes, but this year I am taking a teaching degree in much smaller specialized classes at a different University. Simply stated,... bummer!

Allen
                              Too bad Allen! We'll miss you and that sharp, shiny Hawk!
                              Frank Remlinger
                              Detroit, Michigan
                              SDC# A004602R

Comment

Working...
                              X