Front door glass for 52 Champion/ moleskin replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Front door glass for 52 Champion/ moleskin replacement

Does anyone have a spare or know where I can get a original front door glass window for my 52 Champion? I cracked mine slamming the door shut which also brings to mind has anyone replaced the moleskin with good results? I can get new glass of course locally and I know I can buy new U channel. I like the originality of the marked glass and I wonder how well I can fit/bend new channel to match the factory job....the moleskin is shot on the whole car. Has anyone glued in new moleskin?THANKS
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

When I replaced the U-channel in my 52 years ago, I got the channel from a local glass shop and the owner gave me some tips on how to bend the channel. The details are fuzzy now, but I remember that the channel actually bent easily. There may be a how-to on some web site by now.
    I'm not sure what you mean by moleskin.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hey I'm showing my age, by moleskin I am implying the fuzzy stuff inside the u channel.
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Last time I had to do this job I bought some narrow Velcro (hook and loop) and used the loop (non-hook) portion with the sticky backing to press into the channels that I had cleaned of previous moleskin residue (it was pretty rotten at that point). The Velcro is sturdy, the right height, self adhering, glass slides by easily and it is plastic so it never retains moisture. Worked like a charm...Bob

Comment

AvantiBob, that is an excellent idea I really appreciate that. I thought I'd not be able to bend the new channel as well as Studebaker had done when the car was new. I gotta fix it because that's why my glass cracked and the glass rattles around going down the road. THANK U

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
            AvantiBob, that is an excellent idea I really appreciate that. I thought I'd not be able to bend the new channel as well as Studebaker had done when the car was new. I gotta fix it because that's why my glass cracked and the glass rattles around going down the road. THANK U
            My pleasure to help when I can. The Velcro stopped all my window rattles and the price is right (CASO-content)...Bob

Comment

I like the originality of the marked glass

Don't hold your breath for NOS glass, you might find a piece used, but no one but you will care if it's modern glass.

Comment

I was looking for used.

Comment

We had a bit of a laugh a few years ago when someone on ebay described their interior as "Moleskin". It is called "Mohair", a slightly fuzzy wool fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                    We had a bit of a laugh a few years ago when someone on ebay described their interior as "Moleskin". It is called "Mohair", a slightly fuzzy wool fabric.
                    Moleskin and mohair both have their specific uses in window channels.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Actually I think we laughed about "mole hair" Think about how many moles got skinned to cover that headliner!
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                        Actually I think we laughed about "mole hair" Think about how many moles got skinned to cover that headliner!
                        Yes, that's what it was. I remember that too.
                        KURTRUK
                        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Maybe the moles my labs dig up are good for something after all.

Comment

with the glass removed....Bend your channel slowly over the glass first and then insert it into the frame, put a good silicone or strong adhesive into the door frame and wind your window up for a day or so.....worked for me,the velcro trick is the bees knees, we dont have moles in NZ

Comment

No but, you've got those nasty spiders, snakes and lizards and things.

There is a clip at each end of the channel that retains it to the inside of the door frame. Very cheap and available from Stude vendors. Use them and the adhesive recommended by JAZY56.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X