Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If this repair doesn't get me labeled as a CASO...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If this repair doesn't get me labeled as a CASO...

So, my turn signal indicator end piece has been missing since I bought the car. I recently discovered it was hiding out in the ash tray. Here's how it looked when I found it:

I detailed the steps over at my blog, but I decided for nostalgia's sake, I'd repair this one instead of spending $20 on a replacement. Here are a couple small before and after pics of the indicator lever:

Before:

After:

Nifty, eh?

Call me a CASO if you have to, but this wasn't as much about saving cash as it was fixing an existing part, and having fun in the process. Plus I made a neat discovery: Rustoleum "Heirloom white" satin finish spray paint is identical to the white plastic in the rest of my car, and it's safe on plastic, too.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

If the paint was free, then you can proudly claim the CASO title.

Comment

Jim

These are the little repairs that really make it easier for we forum members to keep 'em on the road. Neat post.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
        Rustoleum "Heirloom white" satin finish spray paint is identical to the white plastic in the rest of my car, and it's safe on plastic, too.
        Love Rustoleum's name for their shade of off-white!! I used Dodge truck 'Stone White' touch-up paint to match the Parchment white, and found it to be an almost perfect match.

Craig

Comment

I love it. Having the ability to overcome, improvise, and be fiercely independently innovative...confirmation of a Studebaker Personality.

Truth is...many automotive enthusiasts would label you "CASO" for nothing more than having a Studebaker. (Even though most of them have no idea of what the term means.)
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Very nice

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Sure you're CASO! Certifiably A Smart Operator
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Although the thing that I'm still scratching my head over is how did this thing get so destroyed, and a follow up is why did the previous owner bother to save it? I mean, it looked like someone hit the thing with a hammer to break it apart like that, and the discoloration of what wasn't messed up was far worse than anything else in the car. I'll say this, that JB Weld epoxy putty is probably 100 times stronger than the original material. It's not as perfect as I'd have liked (I didn't have a really fine grit sandpaper), but at least it's there.

Comment

True CASO: I was working on my Studebaker which is black in color. I needed some paint, which I did not have. Went to a friend's house, he was not home. I took four cans of black paint from his garage. When he asked me the next time we were going to a cruise-Why did you take a can of black paint? My reply: I did not take a can of black paint. He looked at me with a very funny grin. I then told him that I took four cans of black paint. Not to hijack the thread; but, that my friends is a true CASO!!!
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
                    I then told him that I took four cans of black paint.
                    Must have been an awfully long freight train!!

Craig

Comment

let me know if you get that shifter knob off. I can't for the life of me get the one off in my 65. I'm not sure that my replacement will fit so I dont want to go destroying the original if I dont have to.
                      1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

By the way. JimC: Very nice job. You must have a great deal of patience!!!

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by FlatheadGeo View Post
                          By the way. JimC: Very nice job. You must have a great deal of patience!!!
                          I run a group home for teens with behavioral issues. And I have a two year old. My middle name is patience .

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
                            let me know if you get that shifter knob off. I can't for the life of me get the one off in my 65. I'm not sure that my replacement will fit so I dont want to go destroying the original if I dont have to.
                            I've been fooling around with it. I can get it to spin a little, but it's mighty stuck. I'm tempted to remove the entire shift lever, as the little rubber seal at the base is pretty degraded anyway.

Comment

JimC,

I understand completely. Taught High School in NYC for 35 years!

Comment

Working...
                              X