Got my 64 gt home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my 64 gt home

Got my 64 gt hawk home last night. I'am sure you guys will reconize it. Got it from milaca here on the forum. Going to do a frame off on it this winter. She's more than a little rusty but isn't that a studebaker?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    She's more than a little rusty but isn't that a studebaker?
    One of the three reasons I left Minnesota and moved to California in 1973. Congratulations and have fun with your new toy.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Congratulations.

This time...I will wait for the AFTER pictures to engage in envy.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Actually, the door and hood gaps look good and the body appears to have minimal rust on the panels. Looks like a great start to a nice vehicle.

Just be sure the door posts and openings are braced to hold the position and alignment and it will go well.

Have fun and remember it's a hobby not a job as you progress.

Bob

Comment

Congrats on the new Hawk! I'm a bit north of you and Brent but looking forward to your finished product.

Comment

I wish you all the best for your coming winter project from a fellow '64 GT owner.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

It's true, the '64 Hawk has flown from the flock. At least I have this family photo to remember it by.

I wasnt eager to part ways with it, in fact I had never sold a Studebaker before, but the new owner told me that he will restore it and I felt that would be the best thing for the car. I am anxious to see it brought back to glory and put on the road again. Good luck Steve!
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Any 1964 Hawk is worth saving. Congratulations on your new purchase and good luck with the restoration. Don't forget to register your new hawk on the GT Hawk Registry. We would like to track owners and know where these few hawks reside. Thanks

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Congrats!

I got to drive a '64 GT this evening...stephenj's car, to and from a cruise night in Burlington. (My Lark is experiencing some sort of electrical glitch, so basically out of action till that's seen to.) I could get used to the Hawk, that's for sure...that big throaty boom from under the hood, the smooth ride from the long wheelbase, etc...aaaahhh! You'll sure enjoy yours.

S.

Comment

Sweetbob Thats the problem is that it is a job. I'am retired and do restorations as a side line. But this one is for me and for fun so it will be different. Trust me the door opening will be well baced before the body gets lifted off the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      Sweetbob Thats the problem is that it is a job. I'am retired and do restorations as a side line. But this one is for me and for fun so it will be different. Trust me the door opening will be well baced before the body gets lifted off the frame.
                      Sounds like the GT could not be in better hands!! As you progress please post updates of your progress.

Seeing reconstruction done by folks that know what they are doing really adds to the forums data base.

Looking forward to seeing a beautiful GT when it's finished.

Good luck and enjoy, Bob

Comment

Sometimes it is hard to part with a Studebaker. Over the years I have gone through the same thing when it came time to reduce the fleet by one. Miiaca, at least it is in good hands and will return to life soon as a road worthy car. I wish him much success.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Thank guys for the faith that I can return this old girl back to her former glory. I've got two reasons to see this come back nice. Frist I've wanted one sence I saw a 64 on a used car lot when I was 17yrs old now 62 ,and as a rolling advertisement for my restoration work. Thought I would put up a couple cars that I've done. The chevelle I did for a freind a couple years ago he just sold it for just over $30,000. The 73 buick I did for a local guy. Had to build the bottom 6-12" of the car. No patch panels available so had to build them all myself from tin on my metal bench. The 48 dodge I just finished for a local street rodder.
                          Attached Files

Comment

To: swvalcon,-----I like the looks of this car. Is the deck lid still solid? Std.289-column auto? full dash?

Comment

SN-60 Deck lid is not bad. A few small holes that I can fix. Seam is in decent shape and not all dented up. Lt fender was replaced new on last restore, RT is repairable. 1/4s are nice . Rt door faily soild, Lt needs work but brent has a decent one if I want it. 289 4bl. with70,000 on it runs good no noise and starts right up. About 60 lbs oil pressure cold. Power shift auto floor shift. Full dash, reclining buckets. tt rear. Most chrome good and all there. Think I can repair what minor dents in stainless that is there. Rockers missing in action and rocker mlds maybe useable we'll see. Floors, hog troughs rough, trunk floors rotted at the rear along with rear body panel but repairable. Frame a little rusty but I have one on my 58 sliver hawk that I dont think I will use as thats going to get a tube frame.Hood perfect. Top straight. Rear bumper rechromed on last restore. Cost $65. Dont you wish that was still the price. Front bumper nice all but one small mark that shows some rust. Almost to nice to rechome but small rust mark sucks. Brakes work but going to do a quick clean up on them before I try to test drive it, Starter only works if you jump it under hood so need to fix that. Needs all new interrior, but may be able to save head liner and upper door pads. Have a awsome guy to fix that, Does great work and almost the same price as a kit. STEVE

Comment

Working...
                              X