Todays Studebaker adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays Studebaker adventure

Well most of you know that my daily driver is a 1949 Champion 6 volt.
    Well for work I had to go up in the mountains today it was 108. So my son says Hey Mom why don't you take the Prez his 1955 President has air conditioning upgraded to 12 volts.
    So about 4 miles from my destination he wants to change his name to bucky. It gets me to my place then about an hour later when I go to leave to come back down the mountain. He starts then immediately dies. Does this about three times. then I pop the hood open pull the air cleaner and check for it being flooded. Kid said he floods now and again. Well no heavy gas smell and me thinks Vapor Lock. I remembered that they had a conversation as of late about putting and Electric fuel pump as back up. So I look all over can't find a new switch but I now know exactly where the kill switch is.
    So I try my cell to call my husband to get his opinion I had taken the gas cap off too just in case it was a vent problem. My cell phone didn't get service in the area that I was at. Luckily my client let me use theirs. David said vapor lock. So I always carry an ice chest this time of year water for me and the melted ice cubes for the Studebaker that I am driving.
    The Prez was thirsty took three bottles to cool him off enough for him to stay running. Made it down the mountain and bucked our way to the Hospital so I could be with my friend for awhile. Her husband has stomach cancer and he is in his final Hours.
    Just thought that I would share. Sometimes you have to slow down and smell the roses so to speak.
    Thanks for Listening
    Anne F. Goodman
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Amen to stopping to smell roses, Ann. Goog work. And hats off to you for taking time to be with your friend right now.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

That's a heck of a problem to have.
      Too many Studebakers to choose from.
      Whenever I'm in that area [Modesto] to visit my son, and it's hot like that the electric fuel pump on my 55 President [Aunt Jean] is VERY handy to have.
      I use it to start and for a short while as I get up to speed. If I don't Aunt Jean bucks a little till we get moving and fresh cooler gas gets through to the carb.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Panic, calm, determination, then relief. Works everytime. Feels so good when you get back in your drive way and reflect "Hey, I did it!". Well done.
        Last edited by warrlaw1; 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Good for you Anne, for seeing it through and for supporting your friends.
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
          X