Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: No fuel to carb

Hello SDC.
    I just bought a 1964 Daytona Wagonaire, first old car I ever bought.
    Car has only 16,000 oringinal miles. Problem is the fuel system. I took the fuel pump off to see if it's pumping fuel, that seems to be working fine, no obstructions in the fuel line, when I put it back on, still no fuel to the carb when trying to start it. put gas in carb, it runs, but the fuel line is still dry.
    What could be wrong?Also this car has a SDC sticker on the front vent window.

Boehm from WI

To: Boehm,--------- If all the components in the fuel system of Your Daytona actually ARE in good shape, ( clean tank etc.), and this situation happens, the problem would be......Indeed a split flex hose-(pump sucking air). A bad
    accelerator pump in carb causing the need for priming engine on startup (but then it should continue to run OK). Wrong gas cap installed. Empty fuel tank. Good luck with it!

Comment

Is gasoline getting from the tank to the fuel pump?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

fuel pump

I replaced the fuel line to the fuel pump, new fuel in tank. I can suck fuel out of the tank up to fuel pump. It has a Studebaker gas cap. I took the fuel line off the carb and turned the engine over, no fuel came out of the fuel line. The pump works, it pumps fuel with it off the car, but put it on the car and nothing.
        Boehm
        Last edited by Boehm; 08-15-2012, 05:56 AM.

Comment

From what you say it sounds like the pump is not pumping when it is on the car. It could be the the pump lever arm is not bent correctly or the cam that the pulp lever rides on is worn. I would try a new pump first and if that fails install a electric pump back at the tank.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rstrasser View Post
            From what you say it sounds like the pump is not pumping when it is on the car. It could be the the pump lever arm is not bent correctly or the cam that the pulp lever rides on is worn. I would try a new pump first and if that fails install a electric pump back at the tank.

Ron
            This is a good thing to check. I don't know if it is possible to put the pump in place with the actuator arm out of position, but if you install the actuator arm over the top of the cam lobe instead of under it...then it will not pump. Another thing to make sure of is that the pump is free of air. That little diaphragm and its small check valves will just sit there and pump away in the air lock without priming. You can hand prime it by taking it out, connecting the lines and pumping by hand until gas comes out at the carb fitting, then bolt it back.

An easier trick I used this week on one of mine, that has not been cranked in over a year, was to use my small shop vac to prime the fuel system. To do this, you connect the vac hose to the "blow" (exhaust) side of the shop vac, place the hose in the filler neck, and give the vacuum a couple of quick off and on burst to pressurize the tank and push gas through the system. Worked for me.

If none of these methods work, it is possible that you either have the wrong pump or like in the quote posted, the arm is not being moved enough by the cam to supply sufficient pumping motion.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm glad I found this club.I can try the the tricks tonight. Plus with the SDC sticker, the former owner must have been a member. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Steve,I hope you enjoy being a SDC member.so now I'd love to see pics of your new ride,with 16,000 and all.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Thanks Joe. This will be a long term project 1-get it running, 2- tune-up, 3-tires & brakes, 4- paint. Great forum, Great people with great answers.

Comment

Hi Steve,

If you have the pump with the glass bowl and the spongy filter inside, run a test without it. It was the source of the same problem on my car.
                    Best of luck.
                    sigpic

Comment

does the pump lever need to be on the top or bottom of the cam? when I pulled it out the first time, it came stright out, I put it in the same way.
                      If it's in correctly, and still not pumping I'll get an electric pump. It has a cartridge filter, I took that out already.

Comment

The lever on the fuel pump needs to go under the cam otherwise the fuel pump will not pump.

Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron for the info. Bought an electric fuel pump, it works. This weekend I'll install it, and we should be running. Can't wait
                          Last edited by Boehm; 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X