Pikes Peak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pikes Peak

Maybe some Studebakers will want to out-do these guys at next years International !

This year's Pikes Peak International Hill Climb was bound to be the fastest ever in its 90-year history as environmental concerns had led to the paving of the road up to the 14,110-foot summit for the first time. Sure enough, records fell throughout the day, with champion Rhys Millen besting last year's fastest time with [...]
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Like most of the cars that this event, it'll take an expensive Stude to be competitive.
    Also, like the Bonneville of old, Pikes Peak used to be mostly more of the inexpensive varity of cars. But as the commercial entity came into it, as most other forms of racing, it's become a much more expensive "Race to the Clouds".

I've driven the old dirt road back in 1969 and then was part of a race team that raced there in about 1973 with a Mustang. Ak Miller owned the engine and drove the car. Two weeks of hard work and fun.
    But at that time, there was only a coupla cars with any type of fuel injection...now...you're sort of an outcast if you DON'T have fuel injection. Plus a LOT slower.

I'm sure over its history, there's been plenty of Stude's that have gone up Pikes Peak. I know my Grandfather did in his 53 Coupe (yea, Stude), more than once. Just not for a record speed/ET...!

Mike

Comment

For reference, Paul Dallenbach is the brother of the one you hear on TV, and son of the one we've all heard of.
      The initial reports during the big forest fire were that there would be no hill climb this year. Glad it came off; sorry Paul did.

I first heard of the "environmental concerns" about 35 years ago, while riding a motorcycle to the summit. I remain dismayed by the idea that a blacktop road could be more "sound" than a gravel one. Reckon the carbon footprint of the road-graders had to be part of that equation? At least the deed is done now, and I won't have to dread it anymore.

Comment

On our way to Glendale we stopped for a couple of nights in Colorado Springs. Got a camp site, unhooked the trailer and drove the 3R11 to the top. The altitude made the wife very sick. Headed back down. Didn't even take a picture. Guess we should have been there a couple of days before heading for the summit.

Comment

yea...the road.
          I recall the trip up with my grandfather. I had told me that everytime they "cleaned up" the road, it got wider and wider. His first trip up, he said there was barely room for a car comming the opposite way to pass in most areas.
          Now...with not only the paving, but MANY years of grading and cleaning up the road, it's gotta be at least twice as wide as it was during the first race heald there.

At least the deed is done now, and I won't have to dread it anymore.
          Not so. The snow, the rain, the general conditions, the wear and tear of the cars just going up and down to see the Summit....ha...only rather than once a year, it'll be every three or four years that someone's gonna have to fork out money to repave...not to mention the pot holes that will develop "every" year.

Mike

Comment

hey, my Stude been up there lots of times! Not as tall as Mt. Evans, near the base of which we lived.

Comment

For those who think Studebaker history began in 1947.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

And, the Hunt Special #37 achieved the win in 1931. Restored in 1980 by Stan Smith and now owned by Bob Valpey.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Bob, you lived in Steve Canyon!?
                  Nothing wrong with driving Pike's Peak, and it's what everybody does, but I count Mount Evans as more of a thrill -- even if it is paved. They should have sworn me to secrecy, but there are scores of semi-paved mountain roads in Colorado that can be driven with any sturdy car, and once you go Jeep, you can spend a lifetime north of 8000'. The kid spent four years in the Springs, jeepin' everything he could find, and I think he will go back.

While you're breathing carefully at the 11000' Summit at Rocky Mtn Natl Pk listening to fat bikers boast how they hogged it up there, take a look across the dome to Old Fall Creek Road. For my son and me, it was like a Cedar Point roller-coaster: he drove it, and then we went back down the paved side so I could do it. And we still wanted to do it again.

My favorite is the 80 or so miles of Rampart Range Road, from Garden of the Gods almost to Denver. At one point you actually feel like you're looking down at Pike's Peak. I climbed the easy, moderate trail to Devil's Head Lookout -- 1000 feet up in a mile or so, what's so hard about that, from 9000 to 10,000 -- when I'd only been in CO for three days, and dang near died of it. Yep, home is 611 ASL.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                    And, the Hunt Special #37 achieved the win in 1931. Restored in 1980 by Stan Smith and now owned by Bob Valpey.

Yes, you are correct. Maybe a little more info......
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I recall my Wife & I driving to the top at 4.30am on the morning of July 4th 1973 with the flag marshal for the all day competition by the entrants. Here it was mid summer yet there was snow on the peak, 14110 ft I think. I found that altitude hard to handle whereas my Wife had no trouble with it That was a bonus for the SDC Meet held at the Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs that year. Also made it to the top of Mt Evans more recently in 2007. Sensational views.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                      MELBOURNE.

Comment

I have been reading about Pike's Peak all of my life.
                        It will be fun to go there.
                        Hope to make it to the top in a Studebaker!
                        Good Roads
                        Brian & Sandi
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Up that high is where the supercharged Studes are really worth the money. The normally aspirated carbureted cars are gasping for breath and making about half the horsepower they make at sea level. Today's better EFI systems are altitude compensated and don't lose as much. The really good turbocharged cars hardly lose any horsepower at all.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

There was a badass Caddy that was running Pikes Peak last year or the year before. I wonder if it ran this year
                            1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Man, did I pick the wrong year to move from Colorado back to North Dakota or what??? I lived in Colorado Springs for 15 years and Pueblo for 6, and drove my '53 C/K all over the place, including up and through the mountains. I know this probably qualifies as a "Really, Einstein?" comment, but for those who are considering driving up Pikes Peak or Mt. Evans or anywhere else high and steep, keep in mind that your engine will have a tendency to heat up quite a bit during the long ascent (bring the jug o' Prestone), and your brakes will definitely want to overheat while you are descending. Even in a modern car, the descent can be scary if you try driving too fast. Keep your transmission in lower gears, and take it super-easy going down. It's normal to feel queasy at those high elevations, but keep yourself hydrated and you'll be much better off. Also, keep a few cans of V-8 or other tomato juice with you and drink some when you start feeling sick. It works like a champ in most cases. Finally, if you do ascend Pikes Peak and feel queasy up on top, eat some of those greasy donuts they have up at the gift shop. I don't know why they work, but they dang sure do. They used to have an oxygen bar up there, too, but they quit maintaining it because of cost. That was one of the best remedies of all. If you make it to Pueblo, check out Gray's Coors Tavern and have a green chili slopper. It sounds sketchy, but it's one of the best things you'll ever put in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X