44 dana tt rearend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: 44 dana tt rearend

On a 64 hawk tt rear end I'am asumeing its a dana 44. If you pull the rear pinion yoke to replace the seal do you need to reset the gears or can you just replace seal and retorque the nut?

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
    On a 64 hawk tt rear end I'am asumeing its a dana 44. If you pull the rear pinion yoke to replace the seal do you need to reset the gears or can you just replace seal and retorque the nut?
    No reason you can't retorque it. Just be sure you don't lose any shims. Heck, you retorque them several times when you set them up IIRC.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
      I'm assuming its a Dana 44.
      I don't think any '64 hawk used a Dana 27 but, rather than assume, look at the case. A 27 or 44 will be cast right in to the housing.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Doesn't matter what axle....no, just retorque the nut.

Normally, you want to go to a slightly "lesser" torque value so you don't crush the "crush sleeve" farther than originally required.
        I'd go at least a coupla ft. lbs. lighter (3lbs. to 5lbs.). Clean well and use Loctite if the lighter torque makes you feel better.

Back when I had my Pro Gas car (Anglia), the third members I assembled for that....the pinion nut only had 10ft.lbs. and Loctite. 12 years of weekly drag racing (9.90's at around 134mph) and never tore up a rear end.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X