Are These Mirrors Really This Rare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are These Mirrors Really This Rare?

$979.50 for a set of new old stock mirrors.

They are not common in NOS condition. However a pair of new remanufactured mirrors with the hawk insert are available for a lot less.

Comment

Yes, they're really that rare. I know the price is sky high.......but I must say that these particular mirrors really have 'eyeball appeal' on certain Studebaker models. (A '57 Golden for example) I guess if Your wallet's deep enough...........

Comment

Last month on Ebay a pair of NOS bolts that hold down the air cleaner on a tri-power Corvette sold for $862...just two simple bolts that sell for about $5 a pair for reproduction bolts. That kind of price for a pair of NOS mirrors doesn't surprise me after that.

If you have a high dollar restoration and all you need are those mirrors to finish it off, it's not a stretch. For me it is, but for someone else...it's their money.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The seller posts here on the Forum now and then, perhaps he will chime in. MR. D?????
          JS
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Personally, I would want to inspect them before buying. My theory for years has been that a large percentage of Studebaker NOS chrome was rejected at the time of manufacture. It sat on some suppliers shelf and eventually ended up in our hobby parts supply.

That may not apply to mirrors, or fog lights, etc because accessories could be ordered by any dealer and left to languish in their stock room.

But things like bumper guards, bumpers, hood ornaments and the like are often found NOS with flaws in the chrome plating. We are happy to get those things in that condition now, since there is little left from which to choose. But my thought is that, at the time they were new, these bumper guards and hood ornaments were rejected by incoming inspection at the Studebaker assembly plant, then put into a box somewhere and forgotten.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

RadioRoy is right on. The NOS 62/63 Lark grill mouldings sold by SASCO have an obvious flaw in the casting/chrome, apparenty there were all from a bad batch. The SI catalog has a note that indicates there are problems with the chrome.

You have to wonder how so many got cast and plated before they found the defect and why they were saved in the first place.
              Last edited by dpson; 08-13-2012, 05:05 PM.
              Dan Peterson
              Montpelier, VT
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
              1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

notice, they're not sold yet.

Comment

The ad states new so they are reproduction and not nos. went back and read the whole ad most states NOS but in the beginning it states new.
                  Last edited by candbstudebakers; 08-13-2012, 08:29 PM.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Has anyone looked at the other Stude stuff this seller's offering? Buncha P-Hawk parts and other rare items.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      The ad states new so they are reproduction and not nos. went back and read the whole ad most states NOS but in the beginning it states new.
                      Ad may have been changed. Says NOS in several places when I looked. Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

"NEW" in that location on an eBay Ad is not hand typed like the description, it is a clickdown where you must choose, Used, New, Reconditioned etc. it is a eBay Motors requirement.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've always loved those mirrors. Remember when even little things like mirrors were objects of artistic expression? Now all we get are blobs that stick out of the door. Whatever happened to details?
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

His asking prices are over current market value........
                            Last edited by 58PackardWagon; 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM.

Comment

To: 58PackardWagon,------When dealing with parts this rare, I believe that the 'market value' is in the eye of the beholder!

Comment

Working...
                              X