E3 plugs... any opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: E3 plugs... any opinion?

A friend and I were on the subject of spark plugs and he was recommending I get a set of E3's for the chebbie engine I've replaced in the Avanti project.

Have you used them and if so, have you found any difference in power or mileage? Thanks!

Remember the "Split Fire" plugs..?

Just another gimmick. Their TV advertizement is pure hocum...!
    There is no magic in spark plugs. Yes, some ground styles and positions work better than others depending on the fuel, the dynamic compression ratio, and the rpm used....but that's about it.
    Came along...the precious metal plugs. These do last longer because the tuffer material lasts longer with the erosion that takes place everytime the plug fires.

Since, in most cases when using more normal materials for the electrodes, the center seems to last a "little" longer thAn the ground electrode, there have been many gimmics to make the ground electrode last a little longer....so they both wear out (become rounded vs. sharp corners) more evenly.

Accel did this many, MANY...years ago by just forming a V in the ground electrode. This worked well. Sharp edges, without having burrs (burrs will cause hot spots until burned away), a little more working surface for the spark to find a nice edge....and only a tiny cost difference.

Some plugs have even had condensors in them...don't know much about these myself...just that they didn't fly either.

All this is to say....unless the E3 plugs cost the same as a regular spark plug...save your money.
    If you want a fancy plug that "will" work as advertized, buy a platnum plug.

Mike

P.s. - If you want proof of what style spark plug works...just go to any race track, drag racing, road racing, dirt track, boat races, oval track...any...and take a look at what they are using....
    I'd bet even the cars sponsered by "Split Fire", "E3", etc.,...."on race day"...they are using a normal single set of electrodes of the same shape that was used to fire ol Henrys first Model T.
    Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
      Remember the "Split Fire" plugs..?

Just another gimmick.
      There is no magic in spark plugs. Yes, some ground styles and positions work better than others depending on the fuel, the dynamic compression ratio, and the rpm used....but that's about it.
      Came along...the precious metal plugs. These do last longer because the tuffer material lasts longer with the erosion that takes place everytime the plug fires.

Since, in most cases when using more normal materials for the electrodes in spark plugs, the center seems to last a "little" longer thAn the ground electrode, there have been many gimmics to make the ground electrode last a little longer....so they both wear out (become rounded vs. sharp corners) more evenly.

Accel did this many, MANY...years ago by just cutting a V in the ground electrode. This worked well. Sharp edges, without having burrs (burrs will cause hot spots until burned away), a little more working surface for the spark to find a nice edge....and only a tiny cost difference.

Some plugs have even had condensors in them...don't know much about thoses myself...just that that didn't fly either.

All this is to say....unless the E3 plugs cost the same as a regular spark plug...save your money.
      If you want a fancy plug that "will" work as advertized, buy a platnum plug.

Mike

P.s. - If you want proof of what style spark plug works...just go to any race track, drag racing, road racing, dirt track, boat races, oval track...any...and take a look at what they are using....
      I'd bet even the cars sponsered by "Split Fire", "E3", etc.,...."on race day"...they are using a normal single set of electrodes of the shape that was used to fire ol Henrys first Model T.
      I agree 100%, dont waste your money. My thinking is no matter how many points of contact the spark has it will always take the route of least resistance. I remember many plugs with many gimmicks and they were all useless. Stick to a nice regular name brand plug.

Comment

I had a set of splitfires in a car that kept fouling out. Put the regular ac's in, no more fouling. We've had lots of cars at work that were towed in during winter as no starts, flooded out with bosch double platinums in them. They have a pin sized central electrode in them. A co-worker put a set of the bosch quadruple platinums in his s-10 and was complaing that it was idling rough. It doesn't make sense to pay extra for something that doesn't work good or will leave you stranded.

Comment

Working...
        X