Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best cleaner you have found for the white walls on your Studebaker's tirea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best cleaner you have found for the white walls on your Studebaker's tirea?

Sorry, can't figure out how to delete this thread with misspelling in heading.
    Last edited by ddub; 08-11-2012, 12:45 PM.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

What is the best cleaner you have found for the white walls on your Studebaker's tires?

I haven't tried to clean white walls in years, I think as a kid I used SOS pads. What's the thing to use now?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

If memory serves me right, the Diamond Brands vintage tire folks have some strong opinions and information on this subject. Check their website. I hate cleaning white walls, and even took them off my retro-look motorcycle.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wesleys Tire cleaner is what I use on white lettered tires. I don't have whitewalls on anything. I have used weslys for years and it cleans tire and white letters both.
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Try this link

John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

if you have Cokker or Diamond back WW do NOT use Wesleys. I have had good luck with Castrol Super Clean.

Comment

I'll probably get laughed at but I use a sray bottle of laundry stain remover called "Shout". Somehow I tried it many years ago and found that by spraying my white walls or white letter tires with it and letting them sit for a minute or two it disolved all of the dirt alnd left the whitewalls bright white. It also works well on removing grease from engines or parts and occasionally I use it on my hands in a pinch.

Randy
              Randy Ridenour
              Frostburg,MD
              1964 GT Hawk
              sigpic

Comment

I 2nd the Westleys-available at some flaps or walmart. if you get Westleys on your paint,rinse it off quickly.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

The Westley's works great but, it is highly alkaline and will deteriorate the rubber and affect any painted surface. I love it for some purposes but NOT FOR TIRES!
                  Soap, water and a Scothbrite pad.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                    I 2nd the Westleys-available at some flaps or walmart. if you get Westleys on your paint,rinse it off quickly.
                    Westley's works well for me. It is a strong solution. I use a wet cloth or sponge and wipe surfaces to dilute any solution on wheelcovers, ect., after application. It keeps it from having any effect upon any painted surfaces like the aluminum? painted sections of Avanti wheel covers. Rinsing promptly removes it and the results are good.
                    "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

White shoe polish, the liquid kind with a foam pad spreader that nurses use.
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Do NOT use anything with bleach in it (Westley's). It will dry out the rubber in the white walls and they will eventually start cracking. I have been using the advice from Diamondback tires, and have found that a fine or medium sanding sponge works great. If they are very dirty or greasy, try an SOS pad, but rinse thoroughly and don't use it very often. I have been driving with wide whites for 9 years now and this is what I have learned.

Pat
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I have used Simple Green with fine steel wool (press lightly). Rinse asap with clean water and dry with clean lint free cloth (microfiber or terry cloth works best)
                          sigpic
                          Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
                          41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

I second Drummerboy's Simple Green suggestion. Works great.
                            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I was told that the Mr. Clean "Magic Erasure" was great for my white walls on Oscar. I used them one time and now they are all spyder cracked and dried out. The pads worked great for removing the scuffs that I got on the whitewall, but now they are 6 months old and look terrible.

BE CAREFUL...mild soap and water with a pot scrubbber pad or scotchbrite works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X