Studebaker locomotive #3 -Found!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker locomotive #3 -Found!

Many members probably know that Studebaker ran their own trains and also used, and maybe owned, the Chicago and South Bend RR. I have located the engine formerly known as Studebaker Engine 3. Here are two pictures:

and more recently (2003):

The good news is that engine still exists and is in Tennessee. The really good news is that it's for sale! The price is $40,000 as is, where is. Is this something a club member or group might want to save? It appears to be running in the 2003 picture. I think it's remarkable it still exists. I hope somehow it can be purchased by someone interested Studebaker's history. Who knows? Hey! Dick Clemens used to work for Amtrak - how about it Dick??
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

quote:Originally posted by Scott

Many members probably know that Studebaker ran their own trains and also used, and maybe owned, the Chicago and South Bend RR. I have located the engine formerly known as Studebaker Engine 3. Here are two pictures:

and more recently (2003):

The good news is that engine still exists and is in Tennessee. The really good news is that it's for sale! The price is $40,000 as is, where is. Is this something a club member or group might want to save? It appears to be running in the 2003 picture. I think it's remarkable it still exists. I hope somehow it can be purchased by someone interested Studebaker's history. Who knows? Hey! Dick Clemens used to work for Amtrak - how about it Dick??
    Hey bams50, this looks right up your alley! It definitely would be one of the largest Studebaker related 'vehicles'......

It would be kinda hard to bring it to a National Meet tho<G>!!

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

How about renting a couple passenger cars and picking people up from various points along a given route to bring to international meets? I know. Way too expensive, too difficult, too everything... Still, it's fun to think about.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Having spent some time around steam engines and knowing the cost to restore one, I can tell you that this is a bargain at $40,000. Even if you were not able to get it up and running, I bet you could scrap it for your investment. On the other hand, how would you get it home? Also, who do you take driving lessons from?

We currently have an old RF&P sleeper car as well as a wooden caboose on exhibit at our tractor show. I wonder if they would donate it to us? Also, does it come with a certificate of authenticity?

Decimal Dude (and trying to make the numbers work in my head)

Comment

Scott - How about renting passenger cars AND flat cars (to transport the passenger's vehicles) to the international meets... talk about arriving in style!

Las Vegas, NV
          '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Scott: NEAT pictures. How did you determine that they are one in the same? There 'appears' to be several subtle differences between the two, exhaust funnel on the top, near the cab, an air grille on the front/side of the newer pic and not on the Stude pic, just to mention a few. Thanks. toyman

Comment

I noticed the differences, too, but even though I am not a real railroad buff, I do know that modifications to engines and cars over the span of time seems to be more the rule than the exception. IF you look closely, the air grille on the side of the engine IS in the older photo. From the angle of the shot it's nearly camouflaged by the paint scheme.

Comment

And it looks like in the "newer" shot that there is a curtain or tarp visible that would drop down over the vent. Officer Dave's remark reminds me of the fellow who tried to put a John Deere 450 loader on a Hudson 2 axle trailer and wondered why it collapsed.[:0] [B)]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude

I can't wait to see Bams bring that big boy home with a tow dolly! [:0][}]
                  Forget it, Dave- I learned my lesson:

Don't dolly it unless you have a spare hub for the rolling end!

Of course, it may come with some spare parts.................

There's a guy near here that has a restored caboose, on rail sections, right in his front yard- including warning lights and everything...

If he can do it, I can too, right?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                  Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I've learned from the salesman I've been in contact with that old #3 is currently running and "runs well" although the carbody needs work. I think that's obvious from the 2003 picture.

Wouldn't this make a nice project? Are there any tracks close to the Studebaker Museum? Hey, maybe it could be used to haul all of Sasco's stuff to a new site. By the way, I believe it's a EMD switcher, although I don't know the model number.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by vegas paul

Scott - How about renting passenger cars AND flat cars (to transport the passenger's vehicles) to the international meets... talk about arriving in style!

Would the cargo then collectively be referred to as "Rail Queens?" or would they all just be called Hobos?!?!

55 Commander
                      58 Transtar
                      62 GT Hawk
                      66 Cruiser

Comment

Hey Guys!
                        Cool post! I am a crazy train nut, just ask my dad. In case you were wondering more of the above post check this link out.

It has the pictures from above plus some more.

Enjoy!

Comment

Hey Guido and all!

My Dad Charlie Feaganes, once he and his brothers left the farm in Culpeper VA., worked for the RF&P Railroad for 47 years at Potomac Yards. My Uncles Sam, Eugene, and Frank worked there too, along with a bunch of Nephews and Cousins. The rest of my family of their era were farmers too, so I come by wearing overalls by family lineage.

I don't know how to drive a locomotive, but it would be cool for old #3 to somehow make it home to South Bend.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                          53 Starliner Hardtop
                          Newton Grove, NC

Comment

WOW!! wouldn't that look spectacular in the front of the museum.
                            As far as authenticity goes, all railroad rolling equipment has the complete history recorded from being built till it is scrapped. The Federal Railroad Administration requires this by law.
                            Sorry I don't have the kind of moola to buy and deliver it back to South Bend. If some one or group can figure a way to do it I would be glad to lend my expertise in getting it rolling. I really don't want to climb those d**m steps again.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude53
                              My Dad Charlie Feaganes, once he and his brothers left the farm in Culpeper VA., worked for the RF&P Railroad for 47 years at Potomac Yards.
                              Bob,

Did they ever make mention of the Tutwiler brothers up in Catalpa? They were both big Studebaker collectors.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X