Need '51 rear gravel deflector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need '51 rear gravel deflector

Searching for a rear bumper gravel deflector for my '51 Champion Starlight. The Studebaker parts book lists this part as Deflector, Rear Bumper Gravel, part #525672. It fits '51 & '52 Champions and Commanders. This part fastens to the rear frame cross member with 4 bolts. It extends DOWN BELOW the rear bumper and has a "half circle" cutout formed in the bottom right edge for tail pipe clearance. Looking for an excellent used with no rust holes or NOS part. Please contact me direct at 56cvytrk@bellsouth.net. Do not send a private message to me on The Forum. If you can send photos that would be great. I appreciate your time and help.

Charlie Attaway
    Oxford, GA

Pretty sure I have an NOS one of these, some nice doors, Nos quarter panels and also the 'upper' deflector......

Comment

Mike,
      Thanks for your response. If you do have this part contact me at 56cvytrk@bellsouth.net with your price. Photos would be appreciated. The gravel deflector is the only part I need.

Thanx,
      Charlie

Comment

Both of my 51's are Customs - the stripped down model that Studebaker first offered in mid 50. One of the things they did to cut costs was to leave this rear deflector off. Interesting the little things they left off the car, like hood ornaments, arm rests, right side sun visor, headlight and tail light rings painted instead of chromed, less chrome on the dash, rear gravel deflector, smaller, bullet shaped trunk handle instead of the big wing shaped one, and who knows what else?
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Both of my 51's are Customs - the stripped down model...bullet shaped trunk handle instead of the big wing shaped one,...
          I don't know if I am the only one, but being a country boy who was sometimes tasked with killing and plucking a chicken... the custom Studebaker with that little chrome nub trunk handle, has always reminded me of the naked butt of a fresh plucked chicken. I didn't say that as a "put-down," but an observation. When you see one restored today, it is a very neat and clean flowing design. Another benefit is less pitted chrome to polish.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            I don't know if I am the only one, but being a country boy who was sometimes tasked with killing and plucking a chicken... the custom Studebaker with that little chrome nub trunk handle, has always reminded me of the naked butt of a fresh plucked chicken. I didn't say that as a "put-down," but an observation. When you see one restored today, it is a very neat and clean flowing design. Another benefit is less pitted chrome to polish.
            Being a city boy myself, that would never have occurred to me. What an amazing visual it created. LMAO!
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

DO I recall correctly there were different ones 47-52? I have one here it says part number is 525377 but I do not find it listed anywhere. Anyone know if this is correct for his 51 ?

Comment

For trunk handles, 47-49 is one style, 50 is a second style, 51 deluxe is a third style, 51-52 custom is a fourth style, and 52 deluxe is a fifth style.

But I see, after looking up the part number, that you are not asking about trunk handles at all, sorry.

525377 is a deflector, rear bumper gravel (fastens to frame), that fits 49 Champion and Commander. It's listed in group 1610-1 in the 47-50 chassis parts book. Yes, they seem to be different for different years, and even different between Champions and Commanders in 1948.

525672, The one the OP is looking for fits 51 and 52, all models.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-13-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Slightly off subject, the rear gravel deflector in 1953 was unique to that year and easily fabricated from a piece of 16 gauge steel 3-1/8x50".
                  Many have been replaced with later models. The '53 deflector is invisible under the rear bumper. If anyone wants to cut their own for original, let me know. Send a PM and I will return plans.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X