Air conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Air conditioner

I have a 55 Commander(V8).6volt positive ground.I very much want to air condition it. Has anyone done it?Any suggestions?---Another question.---What gas milage can I expect?---Aloha Jim---Honolulu.

I don't know for sure but I would think that you would need to go to 12 volt. I can tell you that the Vintage Air GenII Compac will fit in my 55 Speedster. I have seen other C/K cars with the unit also. Check RayLin Restorations or Bob Johnstones websites for more information. I do have a very good starter for a V8 auto and a very good 12 volt generator I removed from my car for sale. Shipping might be costly?

Comment

Originally posted by jimayling View Post
      I have a 55 Commander(V8).6volt positive ground.I very much want to air condition it. Has anyone done it?Any suggestions?---Another question.---What gas milage can I expect?---Aloha Jim---Honolulu.
      Studebaker did offer factory air in '55, a trunk-mounted Novi unit. They show up once in a very rare while. Gas mileage with the old cast iron compressor that ran all the time probably wasn't great. Check with Ebon Jones, railway on the Forum. He and his brother, Phil, have done many Studebaker air conditioner installations.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My 1955 President State Sedan V8, auto, 6 volt pos ground has factory air conditioning.
        Model # 1060-MA

[ 8 windows, 2 vents, 60 miles an hour, MOTION ACTIVATED]
        I get about 60 smiles to the gallon.
        You will have to excuse me now.
        I get to take the two youngest granddaughters to Santa Barbara for the day.
        They will once again cruise in Studebaker style.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Jim, if you want to go with an 'original' style system that has a compressor that is engaged all the time (like 53K points out), that can be done with your 6 volt electrical system. But if you want a more modern system using a small rotary (Sanden/Sankyo (sp?)) compressor, the biggest issue will be with the compressor clutch. I do not believe there are any readily available 6 volt compressor clutches that can be utilized, based on my extensive search about a year ago. If anyone does know of a usable, readily available 6 volt compressor clutch, please post the information.

If you can get past the 6v compressor clutch issue, the next hurdle will be a 6 volt evaporator blower motor which should not be as difficult to work out. The solution there could be finding a 6 volt blower motor that can be adapted to your choice of evaporator (or maybe getting a 12v rewound to 6v......but I'm not an electrical guy so I don't know what is involved there).

Keep us in the loop if you do move forward with this project..................
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

A friend is using a 12 volt compressor clutch in his 6 volt hudson- works fine but I think he did have to play with the shims a little. He adapted the original hudson heater blower to the evaporator.

Comment

Working...
            X