No announcement yet.

Are rusted 53 C/K doors worth keeping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are rusted 53 C/K doors worth keeping?

I have got to get serious about cleaning my barn out! I was hauling the convertible to the South Bend meet anyway so I loaded the back of the truck with 9 old doors. Not even half of what is in the barn. Big heavy doors, many with broken glass, all with dangerously sharp edges. Pressure washed the stupid things to increase their already significant appeal. (note: the ones with bad or no bottoms are a lot easier the clean out).

All were C or K. Some were solid, others real easy to clean. Bought a swap meet spot, put my phone number on them and waited for the calls as I sat by my Convertible.

No calls. Nothing. Not even a prank call. Loading them up my last day I sold a few pieces of trim to a nearby dealer. Wife asked me how much money I made. I had to tell her it was enough for lunch if I got a small drink.

So back to Kentucky, Convertible still in tow, Tundra rear hitch still almost dragging, and put everything back for another load of barn dust to accumulate.

My question dear members is this: does anyone buy doors with "issues" like rust holes, dents, creases anymore or are we a club of old guys with all our restorations behind us? Obviously I would prefer a straight solid used door and maybe we are to the point where the rough sheetmetal is just never going to be needed. These are Studebakers, not Stutzes. I'm thinking I'll strip out the glass, latches, trim, regulators, hinges and handles and start hauling since China needs the steel.
    34 Dictator
    47 M5 Pickup
    48 Commander Convertible
    50 2R10 Pickup
    56 Packard Patrician
    63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

To: oldkystude,------ All I can tell You is that Your not alone. Every serious Studebaker nut probably has at least a dozen pieces of sheetmetal He/She will most likely never use....but if You have the room.....I'd keep
    the stuff. ( maybe run a 'FREE' ad....but not free to the junkman)

Comment

Well, consider this my free ad. The barn is coming down. There is big stuff out there I'll never sell as the shipping is prohibitive. Doors will be stripped and piled outside.

I'll update this with a list of what is available. Also have fenders, rear quarters, hoods, trunk lids. If it has rust holes or banged up it's free.

Bring a trailer! Free coffee! 45s playing by the pool!
      34 Dictator
      47 M5 Pickup
      48 Commander Convertible
      50 2R10 Pickup
      56 Packard Patrician
      63 Avanti

Herb Phillips: A lesser known product of the Studebaker Corporation.

Comment

Got a phone number where I can reach you? I will be passing by Waddy on my way back from Louisville tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        X