Starter Bendix Retreat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Starter Bendix Retreat

I'm getting mixed answers from the "locals" - does anyone know if the starter Bendix gear is supposed to "disengage" WITHOUT the assist of centrifugal (out-from-center) force on the three "pins"?

('61 Hawk, 289, 4spd)

No! It will not. It must spin at a certain rpm in order to disengage, and it cannot attain that speed without the engine firing.

But you can retract it manually. Hold one end and twist the other end of the drive, making it extend a little more. There will be an exposed flat machined into it that's just a little deeper than the grooves, about a 1/4 inch long. Tear off a old style flat paper match stem, and lay it flat in the slot. Twist the drive back and it will retract.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks...

VERY comforting...
      dad ('53 Starliner) was claiming it was a "mistake" for me to reinstall the starter when a "bench test" did not have the gear retracting on its own...

i even explained the match stem trick (i used a coffee stir straw) yet he and a former Stude repair technician both were claiming it should "throw out" and "retract" when sitting on the test bench...

Comment

Working...
      X