Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53 Interior Windshield molding attachment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 53 Interior Windshield molding attachment?

Recently I removed the interior windshield molding. I found that in the bottom corners where the side pieces overlap the bottom piece, that the screws were just sitting in there screwed to nothing. There were no holes to screw into either. The bottom piece has a large slot in both ends, I'm wondering if there is some sort of clip or ?? that is supposed to be in there?

I don't see anything in the manuals either, can anyone here help?

Thanks

John

No clips that I am aware of. The screws were too short and never drilled into the dash when it was originally put in is my guess. I dont think the mouldings had pre-drilled holes at all. I had to drill new ones when I put mine back together since the new rubber was thicker or something and the original holes would not like up with the mouldings.

Those slots you see are for the screws to pass through (with lots of slop for error!!!) from the outer moulding ends.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Use a flash light to look way down,at that area. I seem to remember some quite longer screws in the corners-[61 Hawk,but the body shell is the same as 53]
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Ok thanks guys, now i know, If I can't find any holes I'll make some.

Comment

Depending on your model, longer screws were used in the corners of the garnish moldings. Should be ten No. 6x1" and two No. 6x2". And, the factory just drilled and screwed them on to the body shell; should hurt a thing if you create some new holes, even if the old ones exist.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Depending on your model, longer screws were used in the corners of the garnish moldings. Should be ten No. 6x1" and two No. 6x2". And, the factory just drilled and screwed them on to the body shell; should hurt a thing if you create some new holes, even if the old ones exist.
            I've got the 6x1", but there were no 2", now I know the secret, Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X