My only gripe with the IM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My only gripe with the IM

I keep hearing about getting younger folks to join the Studebaker fold and how it's not happening.
    During past events, be it a zone meet or one of the international meets, or even a local show, during the award ceremonies I remember the MC or whoever was speaking asking the participants to produce the youngest and oldest member.
    My 16 year old son and I drove his 58 Commander close to 900 miles to enjoy the meet. Now we had a great time and my son got quite a bit of recognition during the week, mostly through folks from this forum, but I think he was a little disappointed that the Chapter hosting the meet did not recognize both the youngest and oldest members.
    I know that I am nit-picking a wonderful meet and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, but I thought it would be kind of cool if this could have been part of the meet. Maybe it can happen in future meets.
    Well I do actually have another gripe. I spent all of my money!!!
    Last edited by starliner62; 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Many times small things that could enhance the meet for folks get overlooked due to the multitude of tasks that need to be addressed. My suggestion would be to e-mail next year's meet chairman with the suggestion NOW so that they have time to implement it in 2013.

Comment

Personnally I think the whole awards banquet was badly managed. Why are the awrds not presented to the winners on stage in front of the audience for all of us to see who these people are and not running off to the rear of the room to a dark corner for their awards?
      Tom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
        Many times small things that could enhance the meet for folks get overlooked due to the multitude of tasks that need to be addressed. My suggestion would be to e-mail next year's meet chairman with the suggestion NOW so that they have time to implement it in 2013.
        Are you suggesting that we all e-mail next year's meet chairman and tell him to set a spending limit so that Jamie McLeod don't spend all his money?
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sounds like a good idea to me!!!!

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          Are you suggesting that we all e-mail next year's meet chairman and tell him to set a spending limit so that Jamie McLeod don't spend all his money?
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
            Personnally I think the whole awards banquet was badly managed. Why are the awrds not presented to the winners on stage in front of the audience for all of us to see who these people are and not running off to the rear of the room to a dark corner for their awards?
            Tom
            After the banquet, I went to the back of the room to see what the awards looked like since no one at our table had one. I made the suggestion that at least a representative award should be shown or pictured.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The awards were presented on the last evening of the Fremantle meet last year. Fittingly, as it turned out, the top placing went to a Speedster owned by Brian "Tiny" Turner a New Zealander living in Western Australia who died not long after the meet. What a cheer of delight there was when his name was announced. I guess that wouldn't have happened in SB?
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Jamie,
                Since I am the one that ordered the plaques, I will be the one to talk to. Having the award of youngest and oldest, furthest, ugliest, etc. are great ideas and I will include them in my wrapup to the IM Committee. They are not required in the Guidelines for an International Meet. For that I am sorry, it would have been a nice touch. As you know, the Meet in South Bend is a bit larger than others. As far as the awards, I will suggest that we have a picture of the award on the monitor where the cars are, so you can see what it looks like. The IM Committee is making a standardized book for Chapters that might want to have an International Meet. They are a bunch of great people that have a great deal of experience.

As far as the trophy dispersal, a few years ago, it was decided that having the trophies in the back or on the side in the case of one recent International, it would speed up the process of dispersal. This method has been happening for a couple of years now. If you have any questions, please post them.

Bob Henning

Comment

Response to "My only gripe with the IM"

As chair of the International Meet Committee, we appreciate any input to the process of planning an International Meet. Having done two International Meets (1980, 2008, with the support of Keystone Region Chapter), I can attest to the fact that you can't possibly think of everything, and I'm willing to take advice from our membership on improvements. Post them here, or email me at dfoust@sdckeystoneregion.com with your input. I listen.....

Comment

Originally posted by 1961 lark guy View Post
                    Jamie,
                    As far as the trophy dispersal, a few years ago, it was decided that having the trophies in the back or on the side in the case of one recent International, it would speed up the process of dispersal. This method has been happening for a couple of years now. If you have any questions, please post them. Bob Henning
                    I dont know what the hurry needs to be, where does everyone need to be after the banquet is over? I believe your trophy winners should be recognized on stage to be able to put names to faces. I look thru old TWs and it looks like that was done in the way past years. It would be a great time for a photo opp for TWs also.
                    Tom
                    sigpic

Comment

Sorry to say but this year we did not go to the dinner and banquet since there was 10 of us and at $40.00 a head we all went and had a very good dinner and conversation time at the Tippecanoe for half the price, one needs to keep in mind when driving almost 2500 miles one way in a motor home getting 6 miles a gal. bucks need to be saved when ever one can and our dinner ended up being half price of the banquet and a very nice prime rib dinner to say the least. many thanks to the people that did all the work to put on a very nice meet and special thanks to Karen Dyer for her personal touch on placing us in the swap area with the motor home, meets like this one every year are a lot more work for every one that does it and if you have not worked one in past you might never know what all it really takes to do, my thanks again to the many people that did this one and others in the past.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                        Sorry to say but this year we did not go to the dinner and banquet since there was 10 of us and at $40.00 a head we all went and had a very good dinner and conversation time at the Tippecanoe for half the price, one needs to keep in mind when driving almost 2500 miles one way in a motor home getting 6 miles a gal. bucks need to be saved when ever one can and our dinner ended up being half price of the banquet and a very nice prime rib dinner to say the least. many thanks to the people that did all the work to put on a very nice meet and special thanks to Karen Dyer for her personal touch on placing us in the swap area with the motor home, meets like this one every year are a lot more work for every one that does it and if you have not worked one in past you might never know what all it really takes to do, my thanks again to the many people that did this one and others in the past.
                        But you saved $600 per room of motel charges at South Bend and a few hundred more dollars on motels each way. I know that it cost a lot for your trip, but there was some balancing.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks for the expainations. I fully understand the many undertakings of putting a meet this large together. I used to run with the Shelby crowd years ago and helped with a few national events. I will forward some suggestions to the international meet committe.
                          Maybe I should rephrase my title comment. It was not really a gripe, just a concern. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
                          Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                          1955 Commander Sedan
                          1964 Champ
                          1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            But you saved $600 per room of motel charges at South Bend and a few hundred more dollars on motels each way. I know that it cost a lot for your trip, but there was some balancing.
                            No Gary $600.00 was not saved in South Bend hotel money in fact we had 3 rooms for the week, the motor home was in the swap area and used during the day time hours by many people that want to come by and have a drink, true we did not need a room coming or going but the extra 2 tires along the way balanced it out some.
                            Just sitting here now and dong the figures on the cost of the trip, looks like about $2600.00 in gas alone but when one takes in what we brought it was cheap trip,
                            6 people in the motor home.
                            3 dogs n the motor home.
                            trailer with 67 Avanti
                            2 handi cap scooters one one the trailer and one in the motor home.
                            2 64 2 door frames and one heavy "X" member.
                            Avanti gas tank
                            pair of 63 lark front fenders and one rear for a 2 door car.

Ss I figure how else would one get to South Bend with a load like this? cheap at twice the price
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Bob P. - Sorry, my assumption (since you didn't state otherwise) was that you resided in your motorhome.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X