Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: DG250 won't shift into top

Hi,

My 1953 K coupe is fitted with a 1955 DG250M. For the first time since I bought it I took it for a drive down to AAA for vin # inspection. It's a nice car - fair power, good pick up with the 1st gear start, (new) brakes are fine (only driven it around town tho). However the transmission does not upshift to third (direct drive top). 1-2 shift feels normal. Selects reverse correctly.

I have the manuals, but wanted to see if the assembled wisdom might offer some "look here first" thoughts.

I have changed the three band servo seals (they were OK) and cleaned and replaced the valve body (with new gaskets). All valve body items appear free and correct.

Thoughts?

Best,

John M

To: JohnRd,-----Just to be clear ....Was it upshifting normally into High before, and has stopped doing that.....or is it that it never upshifted to High since You've owned it? Also, how did it end up with a DG250M?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I bought the car with the transmission in it, only discovered it was a 250 when I ordered gaskets and they didn't fit... PO said in that in the one brief drive he had (15 years ago!) it did not select top (hence my preemptive valve cleaning etc).

JM

Comment

It used to be quite common to install DG250Ms in 1953s-1954s. I did some. The strange connection is that one of the many telephone messages waiting from me when I returned from South Bend was from a guy that now owns a 1953 Commander Starliner that I made this swap in (about 1972).

Sorry, but at the moment I can not come up with a probable cause. If the linkage, valve body operation and servos are working properly, that does not leave much, except the band itself. Does it try to shift into third/direct? Does it just stay in second like that is the gear that is selected (shift linkage adjustment)? Does it shift and you get no drive in third/direct?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary,

Does not shift at all - just hangs onto second.

I did adjust the bands - could give em a tweak I guess. Will re check linkage.

I think there are three bands - one for reverse, one for 1st and one for second. I didn't think the direct drive third had a band?

Best,

John

Comment

This might help..
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

High gear is the lock up clutch in the torque converter applying. So, either converter is bad, the insert in the end of the input shaft is missing, or excessive wear in bushings in the input shaft. Lou Cote

Comment

Thanks Lou,

I guess that means pulling the trans.

=(

I believe the trans needs "indexing" to the motor - can you shed any light on that?

John

Comment

To: JohnRD,-------If that tranny is coming out of there, it may be time to think about whether or not You really want to put it back in!...........Put another way, You may want to update to something easier to
                  live with. (Folks were scrapping nice Studebakers in the late '50's over this transmission......things are better 50+ years later???)

Comment

Before pulling the trans you should perform some diagnostics. I realize that's nearly impossible to do without a manual, but at least check the TV rod, shown as 'governor control lever' and 'accelerator to transmission rod' in the last panel shown on Bob Johnstone's site.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Thanks Dwain,

I do have the manual, tho I am no auto trans expert.

I plan to get it up on a friends rack and check out the governor (if that's accessible with the trans in the car). I will check out the TV rod then too.

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears...

John

Comment

Working...
                      X