A moment of altruism...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A moment of altruism...

Okay, most of you know I'm trying as hard as heck to get rid of my '60 Lark Hardtop. The scrapyards don't want it because it's got no title. As such, I've shifted gears, and have been looking for someone who would be willing to take the car at no charge, either to further strip of parts (not that many are left on there), or to take a crack at restoring. (Obviously, if someone wanted to restore it, I'd let them use whichever parts I'm not using to help rebuild.)

Anyway, since it's looking like I can't even give this car away, I've decided that I want to help promote Studebakering, and once again, I will need your help.

I have piles of great parts that came off my lark. The glass was all perfect, the window regulators don't have broken teeth and can be very easily cleaned up. There are bits of trim, interior, etc. The car was 100% there when I started the teardown, so in theory, I have just about everything, though some of it definitely needs cleaning up.

I'm thinking about getting a table at the next swap meet, and selling the stuff I can't use on the sedan project, but as much as I'd like to make a few bucks on this stuff, I really want to see the SDC grow and encourage younger people coming into the hobby.

So here's the deal: I would like to give away (as in free) some of these parts to young adults who are working on a Lark restoration project. (I may still ask for shipping, but that's another story). Here are my only requirements:

1) The person must be 25ish (or younger). I might accept persons up to 30, but the point is helping young people on the road to restoration.

2) The need must be legitimate and specific. I don't want somebody asking for "whatever you've got" or "all your (whatevers). I want to share the wealth here, so I'm not giving it all to one person. I might impose a limit of a couple parts per person, so it should be a part that they really need.

3) It must be going on their car. I know it sounds silly, but I know some of these parts have real value. I'm not giving them away so you can turn them around and sell them at a swap meet. I also don't want people asking for a part for "their son's Lark" when it's really for them.

4) It must be of assistance. What I mean is, if the guy is 25, legitimately needs the part, and is putting it on his car, but he's a multimillionaire with a big shop and the ability to have any part at any price, these parts aren't for him. I'm not saying they have to be destitute, but I want it to be a benefit, not just a greedy grab at free stuff. Does that make sense?

I realize that it's going to be hard, if not impossible to police this, but I'm asking that in the Studebaker spirit, if anyone knows such a person (or is such a person), let me know, and we can work out the details. I know rules make it sound so restrictive, but really I'm trying to do this in a spirit of giving, and I may flex a little for the right situation. I just want to give to people that would be encouraged to keep on Studebakering, so this marque and hopefully this club will be around a while.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Originally posted by JimC View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a table at the next swap meet,
    That would be Reedsville. Have you considered donating it to McPherson? I think it would be worthwhile to at least contact them.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

A very, very nice gesture!!!!
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        That would be Reedsville. Have you considered donating it to McPherson? I think it would be worthwhile to at least contact them.

http://www.mcpherson.edu/academics/autorestoration.php
        Excellent suggestion. It is difficult for many of us in smaller states with an active concentration of club members to understand the perspective of those who live in the larger geographical regions where distance and travel time make interaction more costly and prohibitive. Besides using this forum to find a good home for the car, reaching out to resources outside our circle is a good idea. Who knows, perhaps you can expand our membership with a new and young enthusiastic Lark owner.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post

http://www.mcpherson.edu/academics/autorestoration.php
          So why is Reedsville the next swap met? He lives in Omaha Nebraska and there is a North Central zone meet in Gering , Nebraska in a couple of weeks for his zone , or one in Rockford , Illinois coming very soon for the Upper Mississippi Valley Zone, his next closest zone, instead of waiting till fall and driving half way across the US to try to sell a limited number of parts. Not trying to be insulting, but the Studebaker world doesn't revolve around only South Bend and Pennsylvannia.

Personaly I like the McPherson idea if you can get them to take it with potential shipping/hauling costs.
          Last edited by snowy_buffalo; 08-06-2012, 05:26 AM. Reason: spelling
          \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
          \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Working...
          X