Driving the old track at the proving grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving the old track at the proving grounds

Anyone who passed up going 10 miles west of South Bend and driving the old three-mile oval really missed out. Even my wife enjoyed it and that's saying something.
    We got there fairly early and were in the first 30 or so cars to go on the track. I don't know how many cars made the run but there were a BUNCH! We made two slow laps with two trucks in front controlling the speed followed by the '62 convertible Pace Car and a Packard convertible. Then everyone else ran three abreast. We made two slow laps I guess to get everyone one the track then two laps at 40-45 mph. Toward the end of the last lap we were herded in to the skid pad area where everyone parked and most people went up on the embankment next to the track to photograph the cars parked and those coming in. It seemed like they were still coming in for 10 minutes or so after we had parked. It's a wonder that the lead cars didn't run in to the cars still coming on the track for the first lap.
    Everything ran very smoothly. Only complaint I heard was that it was publicised to be open until 1 pm, but driving on the track was a one-time thing. If you missed the 9:30 run you were out of luck so we had some disappointed folks.
    After the run we parked at the area by the road and we were told that the old Clubhouse in the park next door was open for us to tour so tour we did. The volunteers there were super nice and quite informative. We were able to see Sherwood Egbert's personal quarters including his kitchen and master bath and there were a lot of historic Studebaker photos in the house. Interestingly the clubhouse butts up to the last "E" in the Studebaker pine trees.
    I will post some shots we took from the car as well as a couple short videos as soon as I get them downloaded and prepped.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

It sure was a lot of fun Paul. The dog, myself and Craig Parslow rode in my buddy's Ermine white '63 R2 4 speed Hawk. The car took Best of Division, just as it did at last year's IM. At one point on the back stretch of the track, we were neck and neck with Lanny Bertram and his Ermine White '63 R2 4 speed Lark. Both drivers down shifted into 3rd and punched it at the same time, what a thrill that was! I did the stainless on both cars which was odd enough, but as it turned out, both cars were sold new by the same dealer in Carmichael, CA. Talk about a coincidence, two white R2's from the same dealer, at the same meet, side by side on the Proving Ground track. You just never know what to expect in South Bend!

Comment

What a wonderful ride it was! We didn't take a Studebaker this year,and they wouldn't let the Dodge Night Runner on the track so we had to bum a ride.

I want to extend my gratitude to Ed George, Pat Dilling, Bob Andrews, And Jack from Pa.(sorry didn't getthe last name) for allowing my 2 grandsons, Josh and Zack, and Me to ride in some fine Studebakers. You 4 men are true gentlemen and generous to a fault. Thank You once again for a wonderful ride that will never be forgotten. Neil
      Neil Thornton

Comment

It's always a blast to get to drive around on that track! I think I got Ely up to about 80 and then let off of it so I didn't take out the back end of the Daytona in front of me! Can't wait until next time. One of my dream jobs has always been to be a test driver out there, and I think I could probably be good at it.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
          It's always a blast to get to drive around on that track! I think I got Ely up to about 80 and then let off of it so I didn't take out the back end of the Daytona in front of me! Can't wait until next time. One of my dream jobs has always been to be a test driver out there, and I think I could probably be good at it.
          Chris, I was really impressed with you and Ely. Iwas also impressed by the pretty Lady with you at the proving ground. Thank you for being so kind to my Grandsons. They will never forget the ride you took them on. NT
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
            Chris, I was really impressed with you and Ely. Iwas also impressed by the pretty Lady with you at the proving ground. Thank you for being so kind to my Grandsons. They will never forget the ride you took them on. NT
            No problem, Neil. Any time somebody wants to go for a ride in the '40 I'm more than happy to give one. That was the first time my mom went with me to the proving ground. She may not look it, but she's actually a "gear head" and loves racing, cars and tractors. She actually asked me if she could go along for the ride because she wanted to see the proving ground! How could I say no?
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              It sure was a lot of fun Paul. The dog, myself and Craig Parslow rode in my buddy's Ermine white '63 R2 4 speed Hawk. The car took Best of Division, just as it did at last year's IM. At one point on the back stretch of the track, we were neck and neck with Lanny Bertram and his Ermine White '63 R2 4 speed Lark. Both drivers down shifted into 3rd and punched it at the same time, what a thrill that was! I did the stainless on both cars which was odd enough, but as it turned out, both cars were sold new by the same dealer in Carmichael, CA. Talk about a coincidence, two white R2's from the same dealer, at the same meet, side by side on the Proving Ground track. You just never know what to expect in South Bend!
              Perhaps I should look over the production order again for my 1963 Hawk that came from the same dealership, maybe it too was delivered as an R2.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I am trying to upload a 15 minute video to YouTube right now, it's taking forever. It would have been a longer video but I ran out of space on the memory card.
                I took about 650 pictures so it'll take a while to upload them all to photobucket.
                Here's a picture of Chris driving.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 08-05-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                  I am trying to upload a 15 minute video to YouTube right now, it's taking forever. It would have been a longer video but I ran out of space on the memory card.
                  I took about 650 pictures so it'll take a while to upload them all to photobucket.
                  Here's a picture of Chris driving.
                  You refer to what Chris does with that car as driving?? It's more like terrorizing the streets than driving!
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                    You refer to what Chris does with that car as driving?? It's more like terrorizing the streets than driving!
                    Get it right, Brent. It's terrorizing the TRACK, not the streets.... lol
                    *However now that the meet is over, back to the streets.....
                    Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 08-05-2012, 09:34 PM.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

A couple more pics with Ely in them. I liked the two green 60 lark 4drs. driving next to each other.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        At one point on the back stretch of the track, we were neck and neck with Lanny Bertram and his Ermine White '63 R2 4 speed Lark. Both drivers down shifted into 3rd and punched it at the same time, what a thrill that was! I did the stainless on both cars which was odd enough, but as it turned out, both cars were sold new by the same dealer in Carmichael, CA. Talk about a coincidence, two white R2's from the same dealer, at the same meet, side by side on the Proving Ground track. You just never know what to expect in South Bend!
                        Here ya go, Matt!!

And we caught up to Ed George (aka "Mr. Speed53") on the track as well:

Craig
                        Last edited by 8E45E; 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Paul
                          It was really nice to meet you and the other Forum members who I finally got to put a face to.
                          And the track????? We got there late and were the last to run.
                          Was not quite sure what to expect when we went around the oval at 98 MPH on the GPS the first lap??
                          But, we pretended to miss the skid pad entrance and were allowed to go again!
                          This time we came out of turn 2 at 84 MPH and took the 46 into 3 didgets down the back stretch, entering the high bank in turn 3 at 100 MPH right on the pin.
                          Some hard braking to avoid the cones that the guy at the skid pad had put up, and then down to the inside to join the rest of you happy Studebaker guys.
                          It was a thrill of a life time!
                          Glad to have driven the 2300 miles to bring the 46 M home to South Bend after a 66 year absence.
                          Good Roads
                          Brian & Sandi
                          Brian Woods
                          woodysrods@shaw.ca
                          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Those are nice pictures Craig! I'm sure Ed George will be glad to see those of him driving.
                            As for me trying to upload the video to YouTube, it took 4 hours to upload it and then it rejected it. I'll have to convert it to another format. I really hate YouTube sometimes.

Comment

I got a few video clips uploaded to my web space. Here are urls for several. Some I didn't post are very short because my digital camera requires one to hold down the shutter button to keep recording. My wife had trouble with that. Sorry about the bug splat on the windshield in front of her.
                              These are MOV files which work OK with Quick Play.

Driving down the access road to the track and lining up to begin the first lap (53 meg)

Part of a lap also showing my speedometer and tach (14 meg)

Looking back (5 meg)

Parking lot at the skid pad with many cars still coming in
                              Last edited by 53k; 08-06-2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: added one video clip
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X