Studebaker Wagon question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Wagon question

How can you tell if a horsedrawn wagon (or carriage) in front of you is a Studebaker? What to look for?

The wheel hubs. Studebaker had a patten on how they made their wheels. If you look closely at a Studebaker wagon weel you will see that all the spokes are angled outward and the rim itself is offset from the hub. Studebaker did this as an early form of a shock absorber to aim all the force from hitting a bump at the hub of the wheel instead of the spokes.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Look at this one:
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Many buggies had a tag at the back as well as Studebaker embossed in the steps. Of course, over time these items may have been taken off. Pull a wheel, in many cases Studebaker is written in the axle shaft.

For wagons, Studebaker was painted on the side or on on the tailgate. Also check the reach plate as the name also appears there on many models.
        Last edited by Guido; 08-04-2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Educate me Guido, what's a "reach plate"?

Comment

Originally posted by StudHawk60 View Post
            Educate me Guido, what's a "reach plate"?
            The reach plate is a flat piece of metal on the pole that is used to couple the wagon together. I do not have a closeup of my sideboard wagon, but it is where you see the two bolts where the orange rear frame meets the pole.

Comment

Working...
            X