63 Lark Flightomatic noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 63 Lark Flightomatic noise

Occasionally, in Park there is a relatively loud rapid ticking type sound. It disappears when shifted into neutral or a drive gear. Yesterday the sound happened in both Park and Reverse. After I drove the car a while, the noise was no longer there. Now what?

Thanks
    Norm

To: over50,------ Probably the transmission pressure regulator sounding off.....throttle pressure rod may need adjustment.....but this noise will also occur if trans fluid is low....check that first.

Comment

Known as "Front pump buzz" and, as noted above, usually due to low fluid level.

Comment

Here's a little something I saved for just such an occasion

Click image for larger version

Name:	transBuzz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1675025

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It is shifting OK. I'll check the transmission fluid level. Are the instructions in my 59-64 shop manual correct. First, cold the fluid level on the dip stick is at the add mark. My pan doesn't have a drain plug. The dip stick tube goes into to back of the drain pan. I don't see an inspection cover like shown in the manual. Also, the dip stick tube comes out of the rear of the pan then goes up and along the side of the transmission just above the pan, then up beside the engine. Strangely, if it were to come out of the pan and stay horizontal as it wraps and goes forward, there is a clip on the side of the pan sized for the tube. Has this tube been bent and thus the dip stick might not indicate correctly?

Thanks
          Norm

Comment

You have to try to bend the tube to at least line it up to where the clip is/was. If it is bent you probably have the wrong reading. It may help to loosen the large nut that holds it to the pan, just a few turns, to help adjust the tube. also, those are checked in Drive with a warm engine, wheels blocked brake on, and a 'helper' holding the brake never hurts.

Comment

I'm attaching a picture. The reading is off by 3 inches if the tube belongs in the clip on the side of the pan. I will have to bend the upper part towards the center of the car if the tube has to rotate that much at the pan.

Comment

It looks more installed wrong than bent to me. Loosen the nut and swing it down in alignment with the clip..... And yes, you are at least 3 qts low with that angle.

Comment

I added about 3/4 pint of Type F (all I had) then drove to the store to get more. No noise out of the transmission so I guess the ticking is a great indicator of low fluid level. Now I have to straighten out the dip stick tube situation. Checking with it hot in Drive, and adjusting for the tube being 3" high, I would actually conclude that it is full or slightly over. Is the transmission that sensitive to fluid level?

Thanks everyone for the input.
                  Norm

Comment

To: over50,---------- Your right! Studebaker really should have mentioned in they're '56-up owners manuals that in an auto trans car, if You hear a buzz, You're probably low on trans fluid!

Comment

Working...
                    X