1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

i agree. It has been a great meet.
    THANK YOU
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

On behalf of the Michiana Chapter,Studebaker National Museum,City of South Bend and all the volunteers who put their heart and soil into putting on this meet you are very welcome and we thank you all for taking the time and expense to attend!!!

Mike Lepay
      Meet Co-Chair
      MIchiana Chapter President

Comment

just a suggestion. the meet was not held on a weekend day so we had to take a day off work to attend- we drove 5 hours from Ohio and got there at 9:45am on Friday am-most of your outside sellers were packing up to leave when we arrived, half the vendors on the inside were packing up/or were gone also-it was our impression that it was on till 2pm-we would not have made the drive to be there for an hour and then have to drive 5 hours back home-it was disappointing for us

Comment

That is a very good suggestion. I know the international meet committee is looking at the meet configuration in the future. I am sorry more vendors were not present but many have 'day' jobs and long drives to get back to them. Hopefully you can come to our Studebaker, Indiana mini-national chapter meet in May of 2013.

Comment

Suggestion. . First,let me state I had never been to South Bend or a international meet. Since on a new job with few vacation days earned, I took off Weds.,Thurs., Friday. We left home Wednesday morning from Ohio and didn't get their till right at 5pm. Just got in the door for my registatration. Went to fairgrounds Thursday morning and really thought meet was a joy and well thought out. Cruise downtown was a blast and yes seeing Studebakers on all streets in South Bend was awsome. Than on Friday morning my wife and I went to the Studebaker museum(drove) and than on to Studebaker international. After that wife went back to hotel and I went to fairgrounds. I new much wouldn't be going on ,but part of mission was to meet the people I have come to admire and thought just a bunch of Studebaker people in a group on the fairgrounds would be neat. I was surprised to find all entrances closed except the one for spectators and when I pulled in their I saw one Studebaker. Even if nothing is planned, I think fairgrounds should have been open for people to meet. I know meals were planned and sure it was enjoyed, but I want to meet the people with their cars. The speakers being right over our heads kept conversation near impossible Thursday, so absent of them and a meeting place would have helped Friday. Next time I will get their earlier and leave Friday if nothing changes. ( Still a great show!)
            Randy Wilkin
            1946 M5 Streetrod
            Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Carol and I planned a visit to Michigan and Indiana to visit family and friends and we wanted to see the Studebakers. Carol had her fourth heart attack in January while we were in Florida and many of you remembered her in your thoughts and prayers which we deeply appreciate. We arrived Thursday PM and were able to see the cars on the field. It was an awesome experience for both of us. As she cannot tolerate extensive walking and heat, I decided to drive slowly at idle speed through the lanes so she could enjoy the cars. We may have violated some rules and it is understood that rules are necessary. No one said anything. She enjoyed the cars and at times we halted to take photos. We were able to say hello to a few people in the club at the fairgrounds and we met some more at the Microtel where we stayed and at Paneras when we had lunch. The warmth and friendliness of the many auto buffs was very obvious. We had a great time which would have been even better if we could have participated all week. Today, on our way back to CT she suggested we stop at Hershey and see the museum there! We had visited the Studebaker National Museum, previously. We have had a memorable week.

As a casual observer I can only say thanks to all of the people who did such a great job in providing the joint meet in South Bend in 2012.
              Last edited by Bob Bryant; 08-04-2012, 08:36 PM. Reason: addition
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I had the same experience as others above. I took off Thursday & Friday and drove down from Wisconsin straight after work on Wednesday. The show on Thursday was awesome in spite of the heat. I liked the show downtown even better. There is something about seeing Studebakers in a more natural setting that is just wonderful. I invited a buddy down from Chicago. We shared a room on Thursday night. He took the day off work & brought his young son and we planned to see the show on Friday. It was my intention to get there early to beat the heat and take in what I had missed the previous day. Take into account that every advertisement I have seen on the event, including the T-Shirt I bought, stated the event was to run through Saturday the 4th. I got there on Friday morning only to find about 20 Studies and all the vendors were packing up. I apologised to my buddy but I was quite embarrased. He is a 40-something yr old guy interested in getting an old car in a couple of years, quite possibly a Studebaker.

I have heard a lot of bitchin' on this forum about the inability to attract young members. At 47, I was one of the youngest in attendance at the meet. If you all want to attract more young members from the general public then we need to think about changing the days at the show. Not everyone can take a week off work and having all the main events in the middle of the week favors retirees. I think that the intenational meet should start later in the week and not end until Monday or Tuesday. The main Concours event should be on a Saturday. I also think that there should be advertised "General Public" days on the weekend that coincide with the Concours event so that people can come to see our cars and the have rest of the meet advertised internally only. (the downtown event was a success in that regard) Advertising the meet as running through Saturday was a huge stretch of the truth.

At the risk of coming off too negative I want to add that otherwise the event was very well-run and many thanks to all the volunteers for all their hard work.

Comment

I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about the board "looking" into alternate Int meet time frames.
                  I recall talk of this during Omaha and fore thought needed to be given to future planning meets already underway.

Well.... Where's the test market? Where's the trial dates? 2015 St Louis is still a 7 day format some 9 years after Omaha.
                  So I feel this will never change. And the travel excuse...while valid for some is not holding water for me anymore after hearing disappointed travelers comming to Springfield and S Bend. PEOPLE ARE LEAVING EARLY with a 7 day format!

Also a heads up to St Louis planners. Public schools are starting August 16 2012 expect less kids/parents during your event if this holds true in 2015. Myself included.
                  I know this may be the only time for convention space....just sayin' keep us parents/members in mind mine are getting to the age now where they'd like to attend.

S Bend was awesome more street/cruises and or poker runs future planners....it was a hit in my book!
                  Last edited by 4961Studebaker; 08-05-2012, 08:24 AM.
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Hmmm....reading these various posts, all valid points. I know I find it frustrating when I have kids wanting to attend the meet and I have to either tell them to miss it, or pull them out of school. About the show day - I know anytime I attend a show, I try to find out what day the actual concours is, to plan my strategy appropriately. Whether you have attended a day or a week, it is a letdown after the concours when everything breaks up.

Comment

It appears as if some of the board members are definately NOT representing their Zones, the people and ideas generated in those zones are not being listened to and considered. WE NEED NEW BLOOD UP THERE.
                      Please consider putting your names on the ballot the next time your directorship comes up for election... AND VOTE FOR CHANGE!!!

Comment

As a member of the IMC I can tell you that many of the suggestions that I have seen here in this thread are part of the options that we are looking into. One of the major concerns that we have s the inability of many members to attend because of work. Shifting the meet to include a weekend day is a possibility. This move would have to be phased in as we are locked into some hotel contracts that may not be able to be changed. At the same time we are looking at holding a Concours Day without judging so the public and the owners can interact. At the same time there is a suggestion to go to drive through judging in order to have a true Concours Day. If you have some suggestions please send them to me in a PM or via my normal email or send them to the IMC Meet Chair Denny Foust.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                          As a member of the IMC I can tell you that many of the suggestions that I have seen here in this thread are part of the options that we are looking into. One of the major concerns that we have s the inability of many members to attend because of work. Shifting the meet to include a weekend day is a possibility. This move would have to be phased in as we are locked into some hotel contracts that may not be able to be changed. At the same time we are looking at holding a Concours Day without judging so the public and the owners can interact. At the same time there is a suggestion to go to drive through judging in order to have a true Concours Day. If you have some suggestions please send them to me in a PM or via my normal email or send them to the IMC Meet Chair Denny Foust.
                          I have always been in favor of judging as you arrive or drive through at a later time. This is not new to SDC. It worked well at Indy and Orlando.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Tahiti Coral View Post
                            At 47, I was one of the youngest in attendance at the meet. If you all want to attract more young members from the general public then we need to think about changing the days at the show. Not everyone can take a week off work and having all the main events in the middle of the week favors retirees. I think that the intenational meet should start later in the week and not end until Monday or Tuesday. The main Concours event should be on a Saturday. I also think that there should be advertised "General Public" days on the weekend that coincide with the Concours event so that people can come to see our cars and the have rest of the meet advertised internally only. (the downtown event was a success in that regard)
                            For forty or more years now, the International Meet has been a one week long event which allows a good portion of the membership to make the drive to and from the meet over the two weekends on each end of it. Unless someone tells me differently, it is state/provincial law that your employer gives you two weeks or more (depending on the location) vacation time. Therefore, I cannont see any reason why a weekday should be an inconvenience to anyone; even students with school being out at this time of the year.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Tahiti Coral View Post
                              I have heard a lot of bitchin' on this forum about the inability to attract young members. At 47, I was one of the youngest in attendance at the meet. If you all want to attract more young members from the general public then we need to think about changing the days at the show. Not everyone can take a week off work and having all the main events in the middle of the week favors retirees. I think that the intenational meet should start later in the week and not end until Monday or Tuesday. The main Concours event should be on a Saturday. I also think that there should be advertised "General Public" days on the weekend that coincide with the Concours event so that people can come to see our cars and the have rest of the meet advertised internally only. (the downtown event was a success in that regard) Advertising the meet as running through Saturday was a huge stretch of the truth.
                              For the vast majority of SDC Conventions that we attended, we were not retired. Cathy and I took a week's vacation time and attended the convention. Please keep in mind that the SDC Convention is an International event and not geared to cater to those that live a relatively short drive away. There are Chapter and Zone Meets for that (they are typically on weekends).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X