Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spacer between carb and intake manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Spacer between carb and intake manifold?

I have a 64 Cruiser 289 with a two barrel carb. On my way out to SB for the International I blew a right power steering hose in Gallup NM. Since there were no AAA qualified mechanics in Gallup, we had the Crusier towed to Albuquerque for repair. While there, I thought I would have the mechanic check why I was vapor locking. I have done the typical things, re-cored 3 row radiator, 6 blade fan, electric fan, and cleaned out the freeze plug area. Still vapor lock. So on the trip I added a heat shield over the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb. The mechanic suggested I get a insulator spacer between the carb and the intake manifold. Perfect time I thought since I am in SB. But I am not finding this to be the case.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Summit should have them or jegs.either one.

Comment

Perfect time I thought since I am in SB. But I am not finding this to be the case.
      I understood up to here...!

Yes, they will help, but just a spacer/insulator probably won't solve the problem. The entire fuel line needs to be as cool as possible, from the tank to the carburetor. Excessive sharp bends also "isn't" a good thing.

But yea, as noted above look into Summit or Jegs just like you would for any performance part.
      A 1/2" thick wood, fiber/phenolic or plastic spacer will help.
      BUT, don't be surprised if you don't find the spacer you need. Look into the Transdapt website, then ask Summit for that part number...IF Transdapt has what you need. They will have about the widest selection.

You "may" need to build your own.

Mike

Comment

Have you tried an electric fuel pump?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

The fuel pump is a source of a lot of heat in the fuel. Go electric and remove the mechanical pump. Also, consider installing intake gaskets that block off the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold. This will require holding the heat riser in the open position, or replacing the heat riser with a spacer block.
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X