Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

194ci "Chevybaker" straight-six engines...availability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 194ci "Chevybaker" straight-six engines...availability?

Wondering how available these (and the 230s) might be within shouting distance of Hamilton, Ontario. Any ideas?

S.

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
    Wondering how available these (and the 230s) might be within shouting distance of Hamilton, Ontario. Any ideas?

S.
    Also try the Chevy II/Nova forums out there; many guys do (or did) yank out those Sixes in favor of V8's.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Is this for a correct restoration or for motivation? If for a driver, the later 250" version is a much superior engine. There were millions of them in trucks and vans. Wish you were closer, as we send two or three to the rebuilder each week.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the replies...was out of town for several days.

Were this to happen, the six is for a '65 Commander six that needs a transplant; since the larger 230ci six was not yet available in Studes in '65 I wondered whether that engine would or wouldn't be an easy installation, hence my specifically asking about a 194. That's a good thought about Chevy II forums, and I'll pursue it. (The '65, BTW, would be someone else's car and not mine...)

Cheers

S.

Comment

Hi all--

Jack's post above suggests the 250ci six will go into a '65 OK; is that correct? It looks, so far, like that version of the Chevy straight-six is going to be the easiest to find, and yes, the car in question would be very decidedly a driver. The project is currently a go, with yours truly as the most likely of three possible eventual owners...

S.

Comment

The Chevy six cylinder engines in that age group have the same block. Displacement differences are internal with different bores and strokes. They should all bolt up fairly easily. The trucks even went somewhere into the 290 ci area.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

As big as 292, if I recall correctly.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I think that the 1964 and up Chevelle/Beaumonts used a 230 ci six cylinder.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

FWIW, the 194", 230" and 250" are pretty much a bolt-in. The 292" truck versions had quite a few changes to the block.

If I were doing it, I'd look for the later 250" with the 2-bbl carb, dual exhausts and HEI ignition. They were mostly in pickup trucks and vans.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

If anyone in the Hamilton Chapter has one, they would have a buyer at the meeting tomorrow!!

Comment

Some of the later 250s had the intake manifold integral with the head, and they sure look funny.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Offenhauser makes a nice 4-barrel intake for the inline Chevy engines. That would look pretty nice under the hood of whatever car it's installed on.
                        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          FWIW, the 194", 230" and 250" are pretty much a bolt-in. The 292" truck versions had quite a few changes to the block.

If I were doing it, I'd look for the later 250" with the 2-bbl carb, dual exhausts and HEI ignition. They were mostly in pickup trucks and vans.

jack vines
                          Truck/van motor only from ca. 1980-84; the last year of the Chevy Six in a car was 1979.
                          --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

A 194, 230 and 250 all look the same externally (3 Chevs in the driveway at the same time for a few years, and each was with a Powerglide 2 speed auto--Chevy II, Chevelle and Camaro) Do everyone a favour, even if visual authenticity is a requirement, and go with a 250 and make it look like the 194. Even the carburetor 250 6 is a more reasonable engine for current driving conditions. Like a 2 barrel 259/289, and a 57-58 185/59 170 only the driver will know the difference if you adjust the details.

Comment

Bump!

The hunt continues for (ideally) a 194; apparently the 230/250 etc would require a new cooling setup and a 283 eight a slightly different tranny, and we're trying to get this '65 on the road on the cheap, so with minimal extra changes. A 194 was available (via a Nova forum) in Illinois, but that's as near as we've yet come to finding one hereabouts. Apparently they're rather scarcer than the 230/250s. I've found two or three 230/250s and a couple 283s in Ontario so far, but with the parameters of this project, a 194 would be best...it seems.

Cheers

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X