Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest manufactured thing you own.

sigpic

Well, I reckon this might ruffle some PC feathers, but it is the truth, and at the time, pretty much ok in a lot of this country and society.

I have a fireplace shovel and andirons made by a slave of one of my ancestors. The pieces were made in SC before my ancestors moved to what is now Texas, so that had to be prior to 1836 when Texas became a republic. hmm, about 175 years old.

Very interesting query, I'm going to keep thinking.

Comment

I too have many stone-age artifacts I collected over the years. In addition, I have a civil war era Waltham Railroad watch. It was given to my father by my Grandfather who once owned a watch repair shop.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

History is history. Museums can certainly have exhibits of things we would never tolerate today. I would like to see them. Do you have a pic you are willing to show?
        sigpic

Comment

I have coins and books dating to the 1700's (and loads of arrowheads and 5 Studebaker horse drawn vehicles).

Comment

We have an old wooden chest...it's supposed to be from the early 1800s.
            Last edited by JBOYLE; 07-31-2012, 09:32 PM.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have a hand saw that belonged to my great grandfather. It has his initials and last name carved into the handle. I recon it dates back to about 1850 or so.
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Well, I definitely have some 19th Century tools, and coins of a similar age. I have a 100-year old newspaper, with BIG headlines about the Titanic sinking. And I think I might have one or two old Roman coins.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Oldest thing manufactured

I have the darrotypes of my great great grandparents, when they were engaged in 1866.

Comment

Don`t know whats the oldest thingy i have , but i do like this old lantern . Came off of Lake Superior and was used for guiding in ships i was told . .

Comment

Hopefully the person in charge of guideing the ships did'nt have one to many <G>
                      Originally posted by aarrggh View Post
                      Don`t know whats the oldest thingy i have , but i do like this old lantern . Came off of Lake Superior and was used for guiding in ships i was told . .

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I have a French mantel clock made by Japy in about 1855. I used to have a book from 1840, but gave it to a friend for his birthday.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My oldest would be a original .577 caliber 1853 3 band Enfield complete with bayonet I preserved.
                          Dylan Wills
                          Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                          1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                          1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                          1914 Ford Model T

Comment

What a great question. I have a book from before 1800, and a few from the 1840's -- but those were things made, if not to last, at least with the expectation they'd be kept protected. I want to know what's the oldest made thing you can still use.

I was impressed when one of the guys said he had a drill-motor his dad had used at Boeing during The War. That's righteous. We have a lot of pre-war tools (some pre-Great War), but they're not electric.

My dad's dad's bucksaw, that he got from his dad's place, was old when he brought it out here in 1921. I still use it, mostly to teach Scouts what a man's saw looks like. It has machine-cut matching threads on the turnbuckle, though, so it's not ancient.

The blade sure looks original, but that Dan'l Boone axe equation will have to come into play at some point.

Comment

I have an 1898 Krag rifle and a Krag carbine. I know there's a US coin from about 1855 or so stored away.
                              Last edited by Gunslinger; 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM.
                              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                              X