Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever think about NOT having Airbags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ever think about NOT having Airbags?

Seriously I can take 99 percent of the hoo haa on a modern techno car and throw it in the lake. I like my stude and I feel I control IT instead of IT controlling me. BUT, those Airbags, that technology makes sense to me....and I miss it.

Me to, but I'll bet you're missing GFI's in your house, it's hard to keep up. You just can't be 100% safe or there'll be nothing to enjoy.

Dick
    Mountain Home, AR
    http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

Well, the airbags do seem to work, not that I have any personal experience with them. But you have to wear your seatbelt in order that they protect you. Fail to wear your seatbelt, and the air bag, worst case, could kill you. Kind of ironic, given that air bags were mandated because the rate of seat belt compliance was deemed to be too low.

And air bags have greatly pushed up the cost of auto insurance, because they are so costly to replace, and do a lot of collateral damage when they go off, like blowing out the windshield. And of course, air bags have spawned a lucrative new sideline for the auto theft industry.

My two Suburbans have air bags. I'm not agin' 'em enough to take them out, although it would be an easy task for me. I always wear my seatbelt anyway, so I don't view them as a personal threat. And the Suburbans are old enough now, that any damage caused by a deploying air bag could be fixed cheaply with salvage-yard parts.

But when I drive an older car, do I miss them? Not for a New York second.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Posted by gordr
        But when I drive an older car, do I miss them? Not for a New York second
        I agree totally when it is Judy and I in the car but let me relate a short story of why I'm glad they are in newer vehicles.

About six months ago my 16 year grand daughter picked up another of my grand daughters in her mothers 2011 Buick Lacrosse to get ice cream early one evening. For some reason, inattention for sure, she pulled into the path of a new Silverado pickup in a 50 mile an hour zone. The pickup took her in the drivers door area near the cowl. Every bag I could see in the car blew leaving both of my grand daughters with slightly stiff necks for a couple of days. I went and looked at the car and if it was any of my old cars, I'm sure the personal damages would be much more severe, Wooo!!!

The driver of the Silverado took the drivers airbag directly in the chest. He walked over to my daughters car to help if necessary and called 911 and didn't go to the hospital, Thankfully.

It cost, in excess of $16,000 to repair the Buick of which $11,000 was the interior. God Love airbags and the engineers that designed them!!!!!

Bob

Comment

[QUOTE=gordrBut when I drive an older car, do I miss them? Not for a New York second.[/QUOTE]

Times 2, Gord.

Our provincial government run insurance corporation ICBC (ickybicky, itchybitchy, whatever) did a survey some years ago regarding the effectiveness of airbags. They used data gained from accidents on one of British Columbia's most accident prone highways, the Ski to Die er Sea to Sky Highway (the road to Whistler). Most of the accidents ocurred late Friday northbound and very late Sunday/early Monday southbound.

What they found was that while airbags definitely save lives, they do not prevent and can actually contribute to serious life altering, often debilitating injuries. I can't remember the statistics, but the number of people who were made paraplegic or quadruplegic because of the force with which the airbag deployed in what was otherwise a relatively minor accident was surprising.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
            What they found was that while airbags definitely save lives, they do not prevent and can actually contribute to serious life altering, often debilitating injuries. I can't remember the statistics, but the number of people who were made paraplegic or quadruplegic because of the force with which the airbag deployed in what was otherwise a relatively minor accident was surprising.
            It's another testament to the fact that there's no such thing as 'one sizes fits all'. A step in the right direction is the passenger override to turn it off in most trucks. I've lived long enough to be without them, myself.

Craig

Comment

My wife was hit head on at about 45mph in our Ford Ranger pickup a few years ago. She had to kick out the windshield to get out of the truck, but she walked away without a scratch.

You think I give a damn about it raising insurance rates?

Honestly, I think it does just the opposite--an airbag is a lot cheaper than paying out for extensive medical (or death) claims.
              Dave Nevin
              Corvallis, OR
              1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
              Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

the thought has never crossed my mind.
                1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Not really. I mean, What's the point of an airbag if the non-collapsing steering column it would be attached to just spears you like a fish anyway? Sure, they save lives when used properly, and I appreciate them in our modern vehicle, but anyone driving an old car should be paying extra attention anyway. I don't even listen to the radio while driving the Lark, just so I'm that much more alert about the things around me.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Studebaker content ??

Maybe this belongs in the Stove Hugger area.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

I've worked most of my life at body work and as I see it there's good and bad to air bags. But as already said be sure to wear your seat belt. We had a pontiac sunfire come in hit in the front with air bag deployed. Owner came in to look at the car. Young guy looked like someone had beat him up and done a number on his face. I asked what happened and the story goes. He was driving without seat belts went into ditch and hit calvert. Air bag went off in his face as he flew forward and threw him back in the seat, then when bag deflated he flew forward into the windsheild. Just not his day.

Comment

I have an airbag, but I usually leave her at home.

Comment

I started adding 3-point belst to my Studes some years ago. In FACT - the fact that I couldn't add them to our Lark ragtop and feel good about them, is what's had it parked for a number of years. IF you want to phoo-phoo such a thingf, do a search and find the multiple posts about Anne Goodman's son, Bobby in the crash of his 55 V8 sedan. That boy was SO lucky. And I've never had the nerve to ask him what chromed pot metal tastes like (read that - horn ring). I felt like I was headed in the right direction by adding belts after that saga.

Bags? Sure - if you can "engineer" them to aid you in a crash. Belts are pretty basic tho.
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Nowadays, here in Brazil it's getting easier and cheaper to have them. My daily warrior has, and all my next cars will have them as well. I'll pay for the airbags instead of digital AC or stuff like this.

Actually, I feel that everything that comes for safety, will be very good. Just like ABS brakes, they are not performance towarded even tough they were born in F1. It really makes lots of difference while braking to have the control of the car. Normal situations it makes no difference, but when you are in trouble there they are to try to help you, juts like air bags.

Traction control here in Brazil doesn't make a lot of sense as we have no snow, the main reason and most dangerous situation. Ok, heavy rain, but this you might have once per month while snow you'll have everyday.

All the other situations, I mean sunny / rainy (normal), are only (generally) dangerous if the driver wants to. Know the limits, yours and the car's. It's not because Ari Vatanen is able to drive under heavy rain at 160km/h that you are as well.

BRGDS

Comment

i had my first experience with air bags about 9 hrs ago. I ran off the road and hit a Georgia Pine Tree dead center with the wife's Chrysler. The air bag took most of the skin off my forearms and elbows and almost dislocated my sholder. Other than that I am fine but the old Concorde is totaled.
                              I plan to leave here headed to SB in the morning. I'll be the one wearing long sleeves to cover the scabby elbows. NT
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X