The 1966 Studebaker Company Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1966 Studebaker Company Cars

In the recently published August 2012 Turning Wheels, you will find an article I wrote regarding the 1966 Studebaker Company Cars, along with some interesting tidbits on the 1964 and 1966 Rally Cars.

We would love to know if any of these vehicles have survived so please check your serial numbers against the published lists. One of these cars has been located and has been fully restored by Ray Martin. It will be shown at South Bend at the International Meet.

In order to follow up on this project, please let me know through the Forum or by email at schapman5@cogeco.ca if you have one of these cars.

Stu Chapman

Stu,

Read the article and I must compliment you on a job well done. I learned a great deal!

Thanks!!!
    1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you Art Unger for the excellent layout and presentation of my article. I neglected to thank you in my original thread.
      Stu Chapman

Comment

I just got mine today & your article was the first one I went to. After seeing the list of cars that were leased to company employees, I rushed out back to check the vin on my Cruiser. No dice. As Maxwell Smart used to say "missed it by that much!". My vin is 6 units past C533381. Darn. At least I confirmed what I had suspected on when it was built, another handy tidbit. Thanks Stu. Great article especially with the incite you have.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I checked my serial number and I don't have one of them, but I learned that my car was almost certainly made Dec. 1, 1965 and was 4 cars (or 3 depending on how you count) away from one of the police Commanders.
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I checked my 66 Commander 194/6cl A/T 4dr and A/C#C133436 it is 50cars before the lastCompany Consigned Car #C133486 plum Cruiser made Jan. 14 1966. So my car must have been made about the first of the year. Doug M on the Beutiful Alabama Gulf Coast

Comment

I guess all of the 66"s that are left are in Southbend not much responceon this subject!

Comment

IM is over maybe some responce now. Bump to the top

Comment

Stu-
                  I really enjoyed your article about the '66s. Do you remember how the leases were handled? Did the Corporation handle them inhouse or were they assigned to a local dealer? What was the length of the typical lease? Sad to say neither of my '66s, a Highlander Red Daytona and a Mount Royal Red Cruiser, are on your list. Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Doug M View Post
                    I guess all of the 66"s that are left are in Southbend not much responceon this subject!
                    No but we need to get our TWs before we check <g>
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Well, I don't know the serial no. of my '66 Daytona off the top of my head, but I know it was built on 9/1/65 so it isn't one of the Company cars. It was shipped new to a dealer in Rockford, IL.

Stu, is "Martha Rich" in your TW article, Martha Fleener as I knew her later? I know at some point she had married Lon Fleener of Studebaker. She was a delightful lady and was willing to speak to anyone who came up to her at the couple of events in South Bend I had seen her at, in the '90's.
                      Last edited by Bill Pressler; 08-08-2012, 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling of 'Fleener'
                      Bill Pressler
                      Kent, OH
                      (formerly Greenville, PA)
                      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                      All are in Australia now

Comment

Stu, sorry my 1966 does not check out as a company car but thanks to you and Andy Beckman I now know who the original owner was and of course what dealer delivered my car. I want to go on record to thank you both publicly for assisting me in my endeavour for tracing the history of my 1966 Studebaker.
                        Last edited by 2moredoors; 08-08-2012, 06:19 PM.
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Great piece. The kind of stories I like to see.
                          love the detailed trivia/footnote/anorak pieces ...especially with a "where are they now?" element.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                            Stu-
                            I really enjoyed your article about the '66s. Do you remember how the leases were handled? Did the Corporation handle them inhouse or were they assigned to a local dealer? What was the length of the typical lease? Sad to say neither of my '66s, a Highlander Red Daytona and a Mount Royal Red Cruiser, are on your list. Quentin
                            Eligible employees were allowed to order a model of their choice with the equipment of their choice at the beginning of the model year. Monthly cost was based on the model and the equipment ordered. The car would be delivered through one of the local dealers and the employee was charged monthly by the Company, everything in house.
                            Stu Chapman

Comment

Thanks Stu!

Comment

Working...
                              X