Over half way to South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over half way to South Bend

In my earlier days I woul hav driven the 600 miles in one day, but this time we decided to put an overnite in the trip, especially since the Avanti is pretty much uintested and still has some iissues I didn't get around to. Left the Eastern Panhandle of WV at 8 am going I-70 to I-68 then turning off on old US 40 in Western Maryland. Followed 40 to Washington, PA then headed north on PA 18 and 16 to US 30. Stayed on 30 to Wooster where we stopped about 3pm. Rebuilt AC compressor worked OK and the car didn't use any oil to speak off. I guess my painful valve guide seal job paid off (was getting 250 miles per quart). Got 17.2 mpg today with many hills and towns. Hoping for better tomorrow on the flatter home stretch. 180 thermostat stayed at 180 except on long grades at 65-70 where it crept up to about 200, Once cresting the hill it would go back to 180. The new thermostatic viscous clutch cut on quite a bit at lower speeds in the many towns.
    Issues- steering is flaky with an annoying sticky spot in going over center (needed a front end alignment, but ran out of time). Idle needs some work- sometimes drops back too low and the throttle kicker does. Pinion seal is still dripping. Brakes aren't pulling down the way they should. Turner brakes- pads are like new, worn evenly, pedal is hard, booster is working. My son found that they were plumbed backwards so I had hoped correcting would solve the problem.
    At a gas stop in Kensington, OH a young man pulled in behind me, hopped out of his truck and said "wow! an Avanti". He told me that was the fiorst one he had ever seen in person, but he had a 1/25 model of one at home.
    Should be in South Bend mid afternoon tomorrow- can't wait
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

I know what you mean by "earlier days", LOL. Sounds like a fun trip. Wish I could make it. Good luck on the entire trip.

Comment

Sounds like you are having fun already, and have not even arrived in SB yet ! Driving a Stude definitely makes the journey at least as good as the destination. I can definitely identify with the earlier days comment. Am gonna try to push 470 miles tomorrow and arrive in SB by nightfall, but will count it as a loong day.

Hope you have a safe trip.

Comment

We're up in Elyria, Paul, on I-90.... Will be heading to SB around Ten AM. If you need anything, give us a call..
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Safe trip to all who are driving!!!!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Made it on in to South Bend with no particular problems. I was uneasy about the loss of oil from the TT differential so, when I saw a Menard store off the highway at Crestline, OH and remembering Bob Palma's post about buying a gear oil pump at Menard, I stopped there. Sure 'nuff- got a pump and another bottle of gear oil, went to the parking lot, jacked up the car (and used jackstands) and pumped about a pint in to the differential. Running at 65 - 70 on US 30 seemed to make the problem worse thouigh. Rear end of the car is misted with gear oil. Stopped by the swap meet for while and met a bunch of people. Tomorrow I'll go to Meet HQ and get my registration pack then back to the swap meet.
            Last edited by 53k; 07-31-2012, 04:39 AM.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

We are just half way there at end of today.
              Unfortunatly we still have over 1100 miles to go!
              Hope to meet you guys Wednesday night.
              Better late than never.
              Good Roads
              Brian & Sandi
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
              X