rear end ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: rear end ratio

I have a 62 hawk. How do I know what my rear end ratio is?

There should be a tag attached to one of the bolts on the back cover of the center pumpkin. It will contain two numbers that give the number of teeth on the ring and pinion. Divide the larger by the smaller.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

In the absence of the tag, the easiest way is to jack up the rear, put the trans in neutral, crayon mark the bottom of the tire. Then, spin the tire and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes until your crayon mark returns to the bottom center.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There are also "standard" ratios that are usually applied. The automatic equipped cars generally come with 3.31 ratio except the super hawks are often equipped with a 3.54.

An overdrive hawk will usually have a 3.73.

I do not know what usually comes with a 4 speed.

All these are subject to differences caused by special orders and/or previous owners modifications.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The higher the ratio the better the MPG? Car had a 3 speed. Now has a 5 speed

Comment

Your 5 speed is most likely an overdrive in 5th gear. Lets guess your car has a 3:73 rear end & the overdrive ratio is .7, then divide them & the result is your final drive ratio.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              In the absence of the tag, the easiest way is to jack up the rear, put the trans in neutral, crayon mark the bottom of the tire. Then, spin the tire and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes until your crayon mark returns to the bottom center.
              That's almost correct, but you need to add a little more info.
              With the transmission in neutral,
              If it's an open differential, jack up one rear tire. Put a mark on the tire. Notice where the pinion yoke is. Turn the tire exactly two revolutions while counting how many times the pinion yoke goes around.
              If it turns 3 1/3 times it's a 3.31, if it turns 3 1/2 turns it's a 3.54 and so on.
              If you have a TT , jack up both wheels and if they turn in the same direction when you are turning only one tire by hand, turn the wheels only one revolution.
              Jerry Forrester
              Forrester's Chrome
              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                There are also "standard" ratios that are usually applied. The automatic equipped cars generally come with 3.31 ratio except the super hawks are often equipped with a 3.54.

An overdrive hawk will usually have a 3.73.

I do not know what usually comes with a 4 speed.

All these are subject to differences caused by special orders and/or previous owners modifications.

Good morning Roy.
                My 62 GT Hawk 4 speed as a 331.

nibbs53 Patrick.

Comment

nibbs -

I'd bet that's a 3.31 to 1.

A 331 isn't possibe in that housing.

Mike

Comment

Transmission is a T5 from a mustange

Comment

Do you drive it? Does the tach read reasonably close? Does the speedometer come close to agreeing with a GPS about instantaneous MPH? How does it go down the hiway in 5th? If rpms are around 2000 rpm at 55 mph the final drive ratio is pretty decent for gas mileage.

Comment

Yes I do drive it on highway and around town when it is not 101 outside, no air yet. I have a tach but it is not hooked up, I do not have a tach sending unit, need to get one. I had to switch the grear on the sped cable, got that from a mustange shop. It is real close to GPS. I have checked gas on a longer trip and it seem to get around 25mpg. I have not been on another long trip. Need to check it again. Around town I do not know what it gets, have not checked that. I like the 5th grear a lot. I am making this into a daily driver so I wanted a different transmission in it.
                        Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                        Do you drive it? Does the tach read reasonably close? Does the speedometer come close to agreeing with a GPS about instantaneous MPH? How does it go down the hiway in 5th? If rpms are around 2000 rpm at 55 mph the final drive ratio is pretty decent for gas mileage.

Comment

How was your speedometer gear determined if you do not know the rear ratio?

As a side note to this I recently put a 700R4 in my car with 3.07 final gears. I then compared it to the effective rearend ratios I would have needed to use if I had installed the GM non-overdrive 350 transmission and had the equivalent numbers. The ratios were:

700R4 1st gear w/3.07 = 350 w/3.73
                          700R4 2nd gear w/3.07 = 350 w/3.31
                          700R4 3rd gear w/3.07 = 350 w/3.07
                          700R4 4th gear w/3.07 = 350 w/2.15 (4th gear is .70 overdrive)

I found it ironic that the non-overdive ratios were all equivalent to common ratios.

Tom
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I got lucky. I did read some place on here to try two different gears for the sped cable. I got lucky with the correct one.
                            Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                            How was your speedometer gear determined if you do not know the rear ratio?

As a side note to this I recently put a 700R4 in my car with 3.07 final gears. I then compared it to the effective rearend ratios I would have needed to use if I had installed the GM non-overdrive 350 transmission and had the equivalent numbers. The ratios were:

700R4 1st gear w/3.07 = 350 w/3.73
                            700R4 2nd gear w/3.07 = 350 w/3.31
                            700R4 3rd gear w/3.07 = 350 w/3.07
                            700R4 4th gear w/3.07 = 350 w/2.15 (4th gear is .70 overdrive)

I found it ironic that the non-overdive ratios were all equivalent to common ratios.

Tom

Comment

That's great that it worked out. Perhaps you can reverse engineer this based on speedometer gears and figure out the ratio of the rear gears. An FYI, the size of the tires also effects speedometer accuracy. But if they are close to original size... .

I seems we both have .70 overdrives. My calculations had me at about a "diesel like" 1,600 RPM at 65 MPH with the 3.07 gears.

Tom
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X