Studebaker Avanti Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti Colors

I think it is safe to say that black is the rarest Studebaker Avanti color and Avanti Grey is the second rarest. That being said, this Avanti in grey looks awesome!

Having never seen one in person, I was surprised that it was metalflake paint.This one seems to be.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      Having never seen one in person, I was surprised that it was metalflake paint.This one seems to be.
      The original Avanti Grey was a metallic color, John. However, the close-up photo of this car's raised portion of the hood shows a good deal more metallic in this color than was the original.

The original was metallic; as you say, this one appears to be a mild metalflake.

Pretty car, though; the Cragars and blackwalls set it off real nice. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Supposedly a PPG match to the original formula. I painted under the hood from the same can of paint, with a low gloss clear to try to match the original sheen. Basecoat paints tend to show off the metallic much more than the original lacquer.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
          I think it is safe to say that black is the rarest Studebaker Avanti color and Avanti Grey is the second rarest. That being said, this Avanti in grey looks awesome!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Avant...orcev4exp=true
          According to George Krem's research as published in the Museum book The Studebaker Avanti Production Data, there were 115 black '63s and 349 gray '63s, 32 black '64s and 77 gray. I have owned two black '63s, a silver (originally gray) '63 1/2 and a gray '64 (current car).
          I'm kind of fond of the gray now (although this picture makes it look more blue).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 53k; 07-28-2012, 12:28 PM.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My 63 was originally a Black 3 speed, with hill holder and an am radio!. It spent many years as a white one, and now it's back to black! LOTS of hours with a nice long block!! There is NOTHING prettier than a black car! Just try to keep it clean!! <G>

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Avant...orcev4exp=true
              When it comes to Colors, I do not think you would want the "rarest". There is usually a REASON they are rare!
              Get the one you like the most.

StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                My 63 was originally a Black 3 speed, with hill holder and an am radio!. It spent many years as a white one, and now it's back to black! LOTS of hours with a nice long block!! There is NOTHING prettier than a black car! Just try to keep it clean!! <G>

Jim
                I agree! Every time I buy a new black car, I say "never again".
                I showed my black Avanti. I cleaned it off three times on the morning of the SDC International concours. It got a First Place.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X