195? C-cab Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 195? C-cab Project

Have agreed to agree with Allen Barth to have him build me a 50's Studebaker Pickup. At his suggestion, we've decided to start with something he had in his vast collection of vehicles and parts to save me shipping out to Washington State from Ohio. He narrowed it to two trucks ...one with a Camero front clip and rear differential and another with an after market IFS and Dana 44. Alan felt the chassis with Camero clip was the way to go. I learned long ago never argue with a man who has true conviction. So it is here he begins.

Attaching a few shots of his handy work, and will continue to do so as he progresses.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mike super; 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM.

Quick...call the discovery channel and see if you can get them to film the project. Perhaps you can have it ready for the show field in South Bend this Thursday!

It would be great to see a "real" project with a "real deadline" on one of these shows for a change! (couldn't help myself)

Looks like a good project and I will eagerly await future postings as the build continues. Good luck with it.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Way to go!!! Lots of luck.
      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I have done a Camaro subframe under a '40 La Salle and it worked great. TONS of upgrades on the market and it is a VERY proven system. Other than rack and pinion {which IS available as a conversion kit} the front end is stronger and works better than the Mustang II set up imho.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          I have done a Camaro subframe under a '40 La Salle and it worked great. TONS of upgrades on the market and it is a VERY proven system. Other than rack and pinion {which IS available as a conversion kit} the front end is stronger and works better than the Mustang II set up imho.
          Always good to know someone who has experience in the same product being used in your own project. I appreciate of your input. It should be just the ticket after replacing any wearable part and rebushing as needed. Spoke to a fellow last week who used a Doge Dakota chassis under his 53. He is pleased he went that route. He paid 500 bucks for the truck. But more importantly had to build a minimuim of brackets to support the truck on the chassis. Will keep in mind I can at anytime convert to rack and pinion. Most likely will not happen...after all this is a pick em up truck ! Thanks again...

Comment

Really wouldn't have mattered which one you chose. As long as you're having Allen build it, you'll end up with a solid, beautiful truck. He's the best.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Mike,are you gonne stay with a Studebaker engine ?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Really wouldn't have mattered which one you chose. As long as you're having Allen build it, you'll end up with a solid, beautiful truck. He's the best.

jack vines
                Could not agree with you more Mr. Vines. Conversely, if were big time into stock Studebaker motors you would be who I turned to. For me....I want the overall experience and end result to be the best it can be. If you recall you and another gentleman replied positively when I posted up stated my intentions..... Allen Barth was my man for a rebuild on a C- cab for the wife and I. After dealing with him for a short time I can now say he is THE man. And it all came about by happen stance......revolving around some Studebaker misfortune....Ed Kahn's 56 Golden Hawk. He met up with Allen who turned all the negative stuff to positive. I was somewhat involved and was kept appraised of the circumstance. I came away impressed with the way it was handled by one and all.....and here I am. Things happen Jack. Heck, I told another Studebaker enthusiast of Allen and my experience to date....he has also agreed to agree and is sending out a beautiful 1930 Packard 733 convertible to Allen ....having him breathe new life into her by updating all the mechanicals and drive train to make it more reliable and dependable and more so safe for Roy and his wife to enjoy. I could not be more satisfied Jack. Thanks for you comments.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                  Mike,are you gonne stay with a Studebaker engine ?
                  We are putting in a small block 300 hp chevy 4 bolt main .....Holley 650 EFI system with TH400 transmission. Normally put new drive trains ...front and rear suspensions in all my projects. The next one I am sending Allen is a 1932 Packard 902 5 passenger coupe with a big block I bought with a 62 Champ truck that I have since sold. Pictured is one of 7 of these known to still exist....I am one of the 7 but the only one that will sport 450 horses under the hood. Planning to replace normal casrburation with the new Atomic EFI system by MSD. The goal is to not have a clue of any updating till you turn the key !! Don't get me wrong, I believe the Studebaker motors are excellent pieces ....but as earlier stated I do all new or totally rebuilt high performance motors, like this one, mating proper transmissions and rear differentials with proper gearing. Strange, out in California, builds a new Dana 60 rear differential I plan on using....am using it because I love the Dana 44's we used in my 56 Golden Hawks with LS motors and transmissions. Does that count ???

As you see in the last photo attached .....Allen has his work cut out for him bringing this one from raw red primer, we shot the car after stripping it to bare metal..... to the glistening splendor of the black completed car.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by mike super; 07-29-2012, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Mike I am sure you will get some flack from people about the motor swaps in these cars and trucks, and while I chose to go with Stude power in my C-cab I have no issue with motor swaps. I love it and as long as you drive the thing then I don't care what motor you run!

I took alot of heat for building a Camaro subbed, ford 9" 4 linked coil over rear, squeezed Blown BBC, TH400 full manual valve bodied, big tubbed 1940 La Salle but I did not care. It was a blast building it. I got it on the road and then tore it apart for final paint and body work and then lost some interest and was focused on racing MX and had a young kid that needed more attention and simultaniously a bunch of friends were building projects and were offereing good money for all of my parts. I made money on my diff, broke even on the trans and motor and made a couple dollars on the body and chassis so I parted it out and now I wish I hadn't, but oh well it what we do is what we do.

Post lots of pics...I love pics.

Someone tell me what the long hub extensions are on the Packards?

Comment

Kmac......Allen updates me as we go along and i plan on updating a few shots each time he does on the forum. Will also post the photobucket URL for this truck when i begin posting to it. I, like you love pictures...have learned lots from them and get ideas all the time from them.

Comment

I would think the resale value of the modified Packard would be a tiny fraction of a stock restored one? Like maybe ten fold?
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          I would think the resale value of the modified Packard would be a tiny fraction of a stock restored one? Like maybe ten fold?

Been thinking of an answer to your question. Without a long dissertation about original and modified Packards, the simple answer to your question is ....No ....

To further clarify my answer. Any Packard I own ....I expect to double my money completely restored and refitted. Any Studebaker I own I expect to lose money on the restoration and refitment. That's the long and short of it. It is what it is. Fortunately, I am not in it for the money....but would have never entered the fray less I could at least break even on the sale. Everything here is for sale. Not married to any one car. For the right price you can own it. Each car / transaction stands on its own. I am into reliable, dependable and safe...the ultimate driving experience with yesterday's beauty and elegance incorporating 70 years of technological advancements. But that is me and everyone is different and each to their own. Today.... people with money do not have the time to tinker nor are they so inclined. Tthey want to jump in, turn the key and go on down the road and back home without incident....NO tow truck !! Those people have the willingness to pay a bit more for the luxury. In all makes of classic cars, especially the Senior ones, 34 and older, the old timers are fading from the picture...it is a new day. Timing is everything .....and for me that new day is here.
                          Last edited by mike super; 07-30-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Still curious what those LONG hub extensions are on the stock Packards?

Comment

Today.... people with money do not have the time to tinker nor are they so inclined. Tthey want to jump in, turn the key and go on down the road and back home without incident....NO tow truck !!
                              AKA the Jay Leno/George Poteet Syndrome.

Some people with the money also like to do some of the construction themselves.

Some people, like those on the H.A.M.B., say, "If you didn't build it, you don't own it."

Thankfully, there's no law either way, so your car, your money, your decision.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X