View Full Version : Body: Back Seat Straps on Headliner

07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Greetings from Northern Minnesota. I have a 1948 Commander. In the back seat, mounted over the headliner are two straps to help people get in to the back seat easier. Does anyone know the official name of those straps? Mine are shot, so I'm going to try to buy a new pair. Thanks, Joe.

07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
They're usually called 'assist straps'

07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
It adds a touch of class don't they? Also the rear foot rest, and robe rails on the back of the front seat, touches that are not in newer cars.

07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Don't know where you can "buy a new pair", Joe.
Most likely will need to have a good upholstery shop amend them.

07-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks, radiotech. How do you know all this stuff?


07-26-2012, 07:11 AM

Now that I know what those straps are called, I'll ask Studebaker International if they have a pair of NOS assist straps. If they don't, I'll take your advice. Thanks for taking the time to answer.


07-26-2012, 08:07 AM
Go to a pick a part. Many large Chrylers from the 70's-80's used these. May work for ya if you ain't super picky. cheers jimmijim