Found a Police car lark Maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a Police car lark Maybe

I've come across a 1961 Lark V-8 4 dr, that the guy says it was a police car,
    Should it have a 289?
    He is gonna call me back with a serial #.
    Anything else i should look for?
    Anything else special about the car?
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Zipper in the headliner (for light)?
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

First --do not confuse police car with a fleet vehicle or cheapie model.

Lots of cars ended up as 'police cars' but I think what you are after is a 'Marshall'

A marshall could have been ordered many, many ways. Look for HD stuff like large output generator, fan shroud, places where extra wires and gadgets were installed. I would look for a certified speedo, HD brakes, zipper headliner, etc.

The best way to tell for sure is any original paperwork, documentation like a window sticker, build sheet, etc. Good luck!

Comment

If it's in the Tulsa area it could be a police car. I know Tulsa used alot of 1959-60 (and maybe 1961) larks for patrol cars. My understanding is they were always 4-door automatics, and many of them were 6 cylinder cars.

Joe
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
          Anything else i should look for?
          Anything else special about the car?
          Compare it with the two posted here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=marshal

Craig

Comment

The body code number on police cars is always 3. W3, Y3, F3 etc. A local chapter member owns a '63 wagon that is a P3.

Comment

What Jerry said in Post #6; it must be a "3" trim level if it was ordered and built as a police car. But it could be a 6-cylinder City Marshal, so the engine alone will not confirm or refute its being a police car.

"Never say never," of course, but I cannot recall seeing a genuine police car that did not have the word CERTIFIED on the speedometer face. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
              X