Gasket Still Needed: #296997

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasket Still Needed: #296997

This gasket is used with the trunk lid handle on '52 Starliners. Anyone have one?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

About ten years ago I restored a '52 for a friend. I used an inner tube. I removed the studs from the handle and used it as a template; laid it on the inner tube and, with a new sharp razor blade, made the gasket. The car took a second at Gettysburg and a first at Springfield.

Save yourself a buck. Sometimes it's easier to reproduce your own parts.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks, I was given this advice a while back. I actually tried it but didn't have much luck...may have to try it again unless someone has reproduce them?
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

That inner tube is going to flex as you try to cut it so your razor blade needs to be fresh and sharp. Also need to apply good pressure on the handle/template to keep the rubber in alignment. Angle the blade so you get a little undercut angle, otherwise your results may look a little "home made". Good constant pressure so you can cut through in one motion with as few restarts as possible.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have placed the pattern part on the tube... sprayed around the edge with white paint. Then removed the pattern & wiped the wet paint off with lacquer thinner. Then after the paint has dried on the tube, use a good pair of scissors and cut out the gasket. I have some hole punches that I use for the mounting holes. You can cut oversize or undersize and if any paint shows when you are done... wipe that off with the lacquer thinner as well. I have made many mounting gaskets like that. However, it is getting harder to find inner tubes to cut up.

Comment

Hi Lou: I just made a paper gasket (Cherrios Box as I recall) for the air-to-hot-water-coil part of my defroster unit. I used the face plate to mark the paper/cardboard with the mounting holes. After drilling out the 3 holes, in the paper, I screwed the whole thing tightly to a piece of soft wood. No shifting, no missing. Let the metal guide my blade. The wood lets the razor blade bite through the material cleanly. Finished up the cardboard with a light coat of silicone. I suspect this would work for the flexible rubber material.

C/B

Comment

Richard, had I known,. I would've thrown the Def gasket in the box with the blower.

Did you get the package yet?
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Bob: LOL. As I was reading your post (1150 Weds), the postman rang the bell. Package is here. Haven't opened it yet but AOK. Thanks for the gasket offer but when I cut that gasket I was still in the do-it-yourself mode. That would be prior to launching the rebuilt (and still not working) defrost motor as far as I could. Summer Olympics Hammer Throw here I come!

I may need some good 4" main heater ducting. Any ideas? Also, still in search of that lower torque converter 55 President automatic and the elusive visors both sides. Off to Stockton for the Renuzit shop gas tank treatment.

I can see the light of the asphalt at the end of my rebuild the 55 tunnel.

Many Thanks

C/B

Comment

Working...
                X