super hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super hawk

What are all the differences between a standard gt hawk and a super hawk? Where all of them r-2s or where some r-1s?

Yes some are R-1, others will fill in more details soon.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Super Hawks (and Super Larks) came in the second half of 63. R engines and other equipment had been available since the begining of the 63 model year but when the Super Hawk came about it had this equipped as a package rather than the pieces sold individually. A Super Hawk would have in addition to the R series engine a rear sway bar, traction bars, 160 mph speedo, a red lined tach & disc brakes. I believe (but not positive) they also had heavy duty springs & shocks (front & rear).
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

IIRC, all dual point distributor equipped cars (R1, R2) used the redline tach with the round sending unit under the dash. My ~mid year non-package Hawk (63V26241) was shipped in May '63 with a 160 mph speedo standard, they started installing them some time prior to that. Also the "Avanti Powered" front fender badges started showing up around the same time as the 160 speedos, as did the round RX grill badges.

Comment

I'am picking up a 64 gt hawk and it sounds like it has most of the super hawk parts on it now. Just wondering what else it needs to be a super hawk clone. It has ps. power disk brakes and power shift trans, twin track,289 4 bbl. I will be going though the motor and planed to build it to a r-1 and leave the blower option open in case some day I find one for a fair price. I know it wasn't a super hawk from the factory but I dont ever plan to sell it so that part is ok with me.

Comment

Well, my 63 G.T. was built on 11/7/62 with a round tach sender but no redline tach or 160 mph speedo or badges. It now has the redline tach since I changed it 10 or so years ago. The badges were a midyear thing but as far as I remember there is no known vin start point.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Start here: > http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=jtsc

Then here: > http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=marshal

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Not sure,but I think also bucket seats/console,heavier alt. and not sure if the radiators were heavier duty ?
                Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                Super Hawks (and Super Larks) came in the second half of 63. R engines and other equipment had been available since the begining of the 63 model year but when the Super Hawk came about it had this equipped as a package rather than the pieces sold individually. A Super Hawk would have in addition to the R series engine a rear sway bar, traction bars, 160 mph speedo, a red lined tach & disc brakes. I believe (but not positive) they also had heavy duty springs & shocks (front & rear).
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

'Supers' came with bucket seats, front seat belts, carpeting (if your model didn't already have it) Grille badge, 160 MPH speedo, disc brakes, front & rear sway bars, rear radius rods, HD springs & shocks, Twin Traction and were available only with a 4-speed or powershift auto. They started production of them in Feb. 1963. I used to own a 1963 R2 Hawk (non-super) that I bought from the original owner, it had the grille badge on it. I assumed he had added it and he swore it was on the car when he drove it off of the lot. The car was built 1/25/63 and had nearly every option that would have been on the superhawk. The car is now in Australia but I have always wondered about that grille badge.

Joe
                  Last edited by irish; 07-25-2012, 11:12 AM.
                  sigpic

1962 Daytona
                  1964 Cruiser
                  And a few others

Comment

Irish, i wonder since it was built so close to the start of "super hawk" production (and no sell date listed), that perhaps the grille badge was a "dealer installed option"?
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Here's a car for sale in Indy (or Cincinnatti) that's advertised as a Super hawk.
                      Lots of nice photos.

http://significantcars.com/cars/1964studebaker/
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                      X