PDA

View Full Version : Engine: engine ID

Ron Fischer
07-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Can anybody help me ID this engine from this serial #30266, is it by chance a truck engine
thanks for any help, Ron

Dwain G.
07-23-2012, 09:11 AM
The only engine I see that could have that exact number is a '39 Champion six cyl. Can you find some more numbers on the side of the block near the distributor?

Ron Fischer
07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
After lokking farther I found this on small tag that seems riveted just above the distributor E (space) 17
also very low on the block to the left of the distributor #524807-9
also right under the 30266 number is very small tag with capial letter D

Skip Lackie
07-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Six or V8? The V8 numbers are listed here:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp

Dwain G.
07-23-2012, 08:05 PM
At home I have a list of some of the casting numbers. I will be away from home for at least two more weeks, so I can't be certain, but that 524807 casting is certainly newer than '39. I'm thinking more like '51.
We have assumed that the 30266 number is stamped onto a 1/2" by 2" pad at the front, top, left side of the block. Any chance there could be a letter 'C' before those numbers?

Ron Fischer
07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
This is a six cly that was my 51 champ convertible when bought it in 1991. I changed it out a couple years later because I thought it had a couple of burnt valves. Now i am thinking of rebuilding it.
I was thinking it had a C or a G in front of the 30266 in the 1/2 " by 2" pad at the front top left side of the block, but it is very fant and hard to make out.
thanks for the come back guys,

Ron Fischer
07-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Just a note this car did come out of Canada, I found a website that if am reading it right says this 1951 champ 170 engine made in Canada. can any one verify this for me?
Thanks, Ron

Dwain G.
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Okay! :)......and that's why I asked if there could be a letter 'C' prefix to the engine serial number. The only way that all the numbers you found would add up is if this was a 1951 engine from a Canadian car. Engines in US Champions in those years did not use a prefix, plus the numbers would be much higher.

Ron Fischer
07-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks Dwain for the help, for some reason I didn't think this was the orginal engie for this car.
I didn't include the C because it almost looked looked just a hammer ding in the tag.
This is a heck of a site for finding info on Studebakers, not much you can't an answer too. So much knowledge out there.
Ron,

studegary
07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks Dwain for the help, for some reason I didn't think this was the orginal engie for this car.
I didn't include the C because it almost looked looked just a hammer ding in the tag.
This is a heck of a site for finding info on Studebakers, not much you can't an answer too. So much knowledge out there.
Ron,

It is a correct engine for the year and model, but you will only know if it is the original engine if you get the build sheet from the SNM and match the numbers up.

Jim B PEI
07-24-2012, 02:29 PM
It is a correct engine for the year and model, but you will only know if it is the original engine if you get the build sheet from the SNM and match the numbers up.

Now, this in an interesting problem, because if the >>car<< serial number starting 10G for a 1951 is a Canadian serial number, there are no records available for any Canadian built cars before 1960, so even if you have a Canadian car, you still cannot determine if it is "numbers matching" unless you have some very original sales documentation that goes with it that mentions both the serial and engine number. If it is a Canadian car, it might have had another Canadian engine put in as a replacement.

Ron Fischer
07-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks ,I think I do have the build sheet around here somewhere.